Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD:
Made my car run great. Smoothed it out, made it quieter. Was very pleased.

BAD:
It only lasted 4 days. Basically the tape (or whatever it is) came off and 3 magnets fell out. Unfortunately the magnets have to go back in a certain way and you apparently need a machine to figure it out (according to tech support at Pertronix). My car limped home on 3 cylinders. I ended up reinstalling my old points and coil (that was fun...).

GOOD: Call up Pertronix...told them the story and asked what I needed to do about the warranty. The guy took my name and address and said they'll put one in the mail today for me. I didn't have to verify purchase or do anything like that. It took about 4-5 minutes to take care of the whole thing. That is a major plus in my book. No hassles...

From now on...the points will stay in the trunk just in case though.

Slade

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I just roasted my 2nd Pertronix. The first one I had for 5 years, FINALLY decided to wire it up to 12 V, and it craped out 2 months later. Called them up, told them the story, he told me the reason (too hot of a coil), I asked if the Ignitor 2 would be OK, he said yes, so I ordered one from Summit.

2 months later (this is last week), the new unit takes a crap too. I'm beginning to lose confidence.

After reading about your outstanding customer service, I decided to call on my own claim. Turns out they want me to send my unit in /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Looks like I'll be running on points and a ballast resistor for a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Everyone should carry a set of points, or 2 in my case, around with them. Oh, and know how to put them in well enough to do it on the side of the road to get home.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had one in my car since I bought it (PO installed) and have been happy with it. Hasn't given me any troubles, and it's at least 3 years old, probably more.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Although it has only been two years, I've had great luck with the Pertronix. However, I am using their coil and running 12 VDC as recommended. Like most things, especially electronic components, you need to properly match the pieces. I don't know about that "green tape" stuff, but let's hope it was a one time defective component and this will get you up and running. Good luck.

Lou

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Seven months, stock yellow-top coil, and direct hook up to the ignition switch. No problems so far.

Steve

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
if you had looked at posts for the last 2 or 3 years you would have seen many of them stating that their points and rotors were in their glove compartments. these are solid state devices that fail catastrophically and you don't move then. points and rotor failures start by running rough and let you know something is happening and needs attention and unless ignored it can be fixed. once these solid state devices are "burned in" to remove infantile failures they will practically last forever. in the early days of these devices the military required a defined set of "burn in" (usually at elevated temperatures) time for reliability. processes now are much improved but failures do occur. many on the VMF have Pertronix installed for over 5 years with no problem - i'll bet most of them still have them in their glove compartments. good llulck with your new unit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 428 CJ has a Mallory Unilite distributor. It used to be a dual point distributor until I converted it. Mallory makes an electronic implant that uses a photo-electric beam. No moving parts except the rotor. No magnets either. I hear MSD's is bad-to-the-bone also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I still run points in my stang, but I added Pertronix to my Tbird in late June. Gave it 3 test drives and then felt brave enough to leave the nest (across state). Had my kids and kid brother with me, and sure enough the car suddenly died on the highway.

I came prepared with points, condensor, feeler gauges, shop manual and every tool that would fit in a toolbox so I felt pretty comfortable. My brother about gave me fits (he just KNEW something was going to happen).

Long story short, turned out to be a simple fix, and basically my fault. The pertronix has an extra wire that goes to the + side of the coil. When I installed with the included nut, I noticed that the original wire had a push on connector and that the nut I installed made it so the push-on did not go on as far as before. I "thought" it would still hold, but obviously it didn't. I had a lug in my toolbox, so I did a proper fix and was on the road within three minutes. Kids never looked up from there gameboys and my brother just shook his head. Car ran great the rest of the way, even in the unusually high midwestern heatwave.

I plan to ALWAYS keep my points in the car, along with feeler gauges and the gap written on a piece of paper. Points aren't really that hard to install, I installed them mostly out of curiosity.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed and love it. I do agree that you should carry spare points but if we carried extra parts for everything that can leave us on the side of the road the car would be full. Install it correctly and just live on the edge thats what I say but I also live in the country where the only thing I need to worry about is animals for the most part and a walk does me good once in a while. :) Latman

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I must just be lucky and dumb. I've had a Pertronix Ignitor hooked directly to a Jacobs coil in our SportsRoof for about seven years with no failures. I've had the same type unit hooked to a Pertronix Flamethrower for four years in my convertible. I do, however, carry a spare starter motor in the glove box. No sense being caught out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My pertronix unit seems to be running great. Just a note I wanted to make, I read on the Pertronix website and also heard from several others, that leaving your key in the ON position while your engine is NOT running can cause damage to any electronic ignition system. I even found myself while tuning the engine, when the engine cuts off for some reason, I would forget and leave the key in the ON position, while fiddling with something, then quickly remembered this, and turned that key to off right away.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I guess I have the oldest so far. I bought my 65 in 1992 in Finland and it had electronic ignition said a tune shop I visited shortly after buy. It has a box like Pertronix and green tape on black round part in distributor shaft so I guess it is Pertronix. I had Accel Super Coil, 12V and it has worked and was working at least last summer when I tested that. I have upgraded to D.U.I. three years ago because the old dizzy body was worn and had no advance mechanism.

A friend of mine bought Pertronix this summer and was complaining that it doesn't work, but he is kinda stubborn guy who absolutely refuses to read instructions, buy shop manual or use inch tools. He is confident that swapping a few Saab 96 V4 engines in -20F with monkey wrench has made him a competent mechanic, LOL.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Three installations
One with 50K miles now.
One on a car I sold.
One on my dads boat.
All performed perfectly.
Oh, one on my brothers Roots blown Falcon. It runs better than ever.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
More than 12 years ago, I bought their just-introduced unit for the small block Mopar in my Dart convertible. The first one went bad within a few weeks.

Got on the horn with the manufacturer and he peppered me with questions and asked for the old unit back (which I sent him the next day). Again, without any proof of purchase, he immediately put a new unit in the mail to me.

I installed it and haven't touched it since that day. Gotta have 40k miles on the unit without so much as a hickup.

Good stuff, but I'd keep those points in the glovebox just in case.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had my Pertronix in for about 5 years and no problems at all! Plugs look great and I love not having to mess with the gap in the points all the time. Best instant performance upgrade that I have done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts