Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks again.
Will hit a few bike shops this weekend. Probably not the best time to be looking, but this came up last minute.
Should take her with us, but that makes it hard for the Christmas morning surprise.
Russ

·
Registered
555 Posts
Guess she's too young for a Ducati Hypermotard. (Hey Santa, I want one!)

I like the idea of local bike shops. She'll outgrow it or want a different bike before she wears it out.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
A Walmart bike might work for a kid who will soon grow out of it. Just be aware those bikes are made so cheaply, it's difficult to get them to last. The brake cables stretch. If it has a derailer, that cable will also stretch and it will be nearly impossible to adjust. The frame and wheels will be very heavy. There's no point in fixing anything on a Walmart bike. Any parts will cost as much as the purchase price of the bike.

Again, for a season or two, sure, as Walmart bike will work. But be aware there's a HUGE difference between a Walmart bike and a decent bike. Yeah, almost all bikes are now made in Asia. There are some decent bikes coming out of Taiwan. Anything American is crazy expensive, but very good quality.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
66 Posts
We ride Treks because our local bike shop has a program when it's time to utpgrade, bring in the current bike and they will buy it back for 50% of what I paid for it.

Walmart bikes are made with cheap parts and are usually not assembled by bike mechanics.

roog

21 - 26 of 26 Posts