Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received my 1406 edelbrock carb to replace my 4160 holley. I can't wait to get it installed! I won't know what to do with all of my extra free time now that I won't be adjusting the mixture screws every 2 weeks, or trying to figure out why I have a hesitation off idle , or a bog between between 2000-3000 rpm, or why the choke doesn't work right when the car is already warm, or why...

I only wish I hadn't already rebuilt the carb, and added a quick change vacuum secondary kit, and added clear site plugs before I saw the light. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I used to have problems with my mixture screws until I replaced the cork gaskets with little rubber O rings. I just added an electric choke and couldn't be happier.

Good Luck with your Edelbrock.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 4160 carb on my 351w 83 bronco it has been nothing but headaches I rebuilt it changed the power valve 3 times and stil have hesitation that will not go away!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You will likely be very happy with your Edelbrock. If your engine is stock or only slightly modified, the 1406 will probably work great right out of the box. If your engine is a little more on the radical side, you may find the 1406 a little on the lean side. If so, order the calibration kit from Summit, and step up your metering rods by one size.

I had a slight hesitation on my '66 with he 1406 and stepping up one metering rod size took care of it. The metering rod swap took about 10 minutes total time. The 1406 on my son's '65 is just is it came out of the box.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 1406 and it runs great. Just dialed everything in on a chassis dyno in March. The only carb change we made during the dyno was 1 metering rod.

The stroker I'm building will have a healthy cam and some Edelbrock heads. That means stepping up to the Edelbrock 750. Which I'm buying from a VMFer on the 1st of the month.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
woooo

can I say replace cork gaskets with Viton oring style seals?

for a stock to warm engine the Edelbrock aka carter
should be fine.

but for the big ponies the Holley is the way to go!!!

good luck!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry John, I just put on a carter 600 on my stock 390 in my truck and I am throwing it out and putting the holley back on. I have had nothing but problems with the carter.
John

·
Registered
189 Posts
John, you'll dig it. I installed mine nearly two months ago and varoom! No problems, no adjustments what-so-ever right out of the box! Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts