Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a 65 fastback for $20-$22k. It’s a mostly stock a code car with a top loader. Ball joints and other suspension components replaced with stock spec stuff. 4 wheel drum, pretty solid car without major rust problems, driver quality “10 footer” paint, and a pretty clean and complete interior.

I know value is relative, and it’s worth what it’s worth to me, etc etc... but I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts... reasonable price, good deal, total steal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Considering that a lot of guys are asking $10k+ for their basket case fastbacks that oftentimes don’t come with an engine/transmission, I’d say $20k is a good price. Especially a running/driving A code car with a 4spd that has a decent paint job on it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Depends on the VIN stamped engine code and condition (which only you can assess). For a T-code, it's okay but not great. For a C-code, it's about average. For an A-code, especially with the correct GT parts in place, that's a very good price. For a K-code, it would be a steal and we would all be very jealous.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If it's a real factory A code 4 speed and there are no hidden problems like nice paint hiding bad old body work or rust repair that's not a bad deal. Thoroughly go over the body with a big thin flexible magnet(like the kind your would get with a sports schedule on it) to check for filler. Check the door tag vs the fender vin, as stated above if it started life as a T(6 cyl) that may be high.
Good luck, hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Can I fly out to cali and buy it if you don't? As described, that car would go for 30 around here all day long.....4sp gt A code fb....sheesh.....
I don't recall him saying it was a GT?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your replies everyone. For the record, it was an A code, but not a gt. I couldn’t pull cash together fast enough and it sold the day after I posted this... oh well, hopefully I’ll get the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts