Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am back to figuring out how to build up my '72 model 302. I have a plan of how I would like to build it, but I am worried that I may not be happy driving it after I get it done. I am afraid that it would only be happy in the upper rpm ranges, which I don't really want. I want something that will get up and go from red light to red light, but I would also like close to 300 rwhp and even a little less. Here is what I had planned.

1. Weiand Stealth Intake
2. Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
3. Flow-Tech Ceramic Coated Headers
4. Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Cam XE274H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam Lift: .520''/.523 with lifters
5. 1.6 Roller Rockers or Comp Cams Magnum Rockers with Roller tips
6. Hyper. Pistons that will give close to 10:1 comp ratio depeding on head choice and maybe lower comp. ratio if I go with iron heads
7. Probably AFR 165's
8. 90 model T-5 Transmission
9. 3.50 rear gears

Tell me if it sounds good or needs to be modified to make myself happier. Thanks!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You are not going to get 300 RWHP out of a 302 and still have it reel streetable. You're talking about getting close to 375 at the flywheel. Yes, it can be done, but it will idle like hell, and for that stop light to stop light fun, you'll need to be launching at 2000 RPMs ... not really the kind of fun you should try to do on the streets.

You can easily build a real streetable, quick car, without going overboard. The 289 in my '66 runs consistent 14.1's at the track. It's a GREAT stop light to stop light car, is very easy to drive, and even gets great gas mileage on the freeway. It's a FAR cry from 375 HP.

I like most of your combo that you've listed there except the cam. That's a TON of lift for a 302. Scale the cam back a little and you'll have yourself a great, streetable engine that will be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
...but I am worried that I may not be happy driving it after I get it done. I am afraid that it would only be happy in the upper rpm ranges, which I don't really want.
From what you wrote I'd start by dropping the CompCams Extreme Energy 274 cam. It's an high RPM cam that builds HP from 6000-7500 RPM. If you really want to go with the XE274 then you'll also have to upgrade the carburator to at least a 700cfm, I'd go with a Holly 4150 with mechanical secondaries then rejet as needed. Also forget about the Stealth dual plane manifold. With that setup you would have to go with a single plane manifold with larger ports such as an Airflow Research 185cc head. Finally add your open exhaust system.

I plugged your specs into the Desktop Dyno software with the following results:

Your Specifications as you mentioned above:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/pchiava/Dyno/Ford_SB_302-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/pchiava/Dyno/Ford_SB_302-2.jpg

My suggested setup with the XE274H cam:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/pchiava/Dyno/Ford_SB_302-a.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/pchiava/Dyno/Ford_SB_302-b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
You can forget about gas milage and drivability and let's not forget about overheating issues (must upgrade cooling system).

If you want to stay below 300HP, start by selecting a milder cam as a base and then build up on that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Say I did scale down the build some by going with a milder cam, could I still beat say a '05 mustang GT off the line? I think they are advertised 300rwhp. Also, what cam would you guys recommend?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
could I still beat say a '05 mustang GT off the line?
If you're a better driver than the one in the '05. Last time I was out at the track, I raced an '05 GT 3 times in my '66. He beat me at the other end 2 out of 3 times. I beat him off the line all 3 and my traction is terrible. The one time I beat him, his ET was still quite a bit better than my 289, but his reaction time SUCKED :lol:

I would question the 300 RWHP at the rear wheels, anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts