Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys run and recommend?

If you have one, do you run a relay?

And, do you run a return line and is it needed for a carburetor setup?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lot's of choices. Definitely run a relay and if you use a return line it will last longer. However, I ran a Holley red pump for years with no return line. The old style Holleys are pretty reliable and easy to rebuild. If you stick with the RED pump you don't need to run a regulator. The BLUE requires their regulator and is probably overkill for most street cars that aren't running a power adder. One thing to keep in mind about this style pump (and there are lots of copies) is they are noisy!

If you don't mind spending a little more money the newer gerotor designs are supposed to be quieter.

Also I believe the old Carter design is preferred by some but I have never ran one of these.

I got sick of the noise and switched to an Edelbrock Victor mechanical high flow pump. I figure it flows enough to keep even once I build a stroker.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also ran a Holley Red in my '66 with Holley 4-barrel w/o a return or regulator. Just be sure and install it lower than the bottom of the tank. Those pumps must be gravity fed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I read in some forums that a return line reduces the noise. I think I might go with that setup. I have a lot of horsepower, but I did the math according to Holley and I think I need something that supplies 30gph.

The return line is low pressure, so I think I can use a lot of hose on that instead of a hard line.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm wondering where you will hook up the return line to the carb. I've used Holleys on my '66, but don't recall anything about installing a return line. Once you fill the bowl(s), flow stops, and all the fuel that goes from there is burned, as long as things are adjusted properly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Edit: I realized after I posted that the pump runs all the time, so maybe that's where the return would be. I don't recall there being a return port on the Holley Red pump, but it's been awhile.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Return line will definitely make it quieter. Pump would rather push than pull so mount it as close to the tank as possible. Always use a relay.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Oh and I ran the aeromotive 11203. It’s much quieter than those noisy Holley reds and blues. I ran mine with no return and it was on my car for years with no issues. Even after the car sat for 2 years without draining that dreaded e10, we put the new motor in and it started right up and went with no issues.

·
Registered
35,330 Posts
Ideally, you'll want a relay-controlled circuit with the following features:
a) A "timer relay" which energizes for a set number of seconds (10 seconds would be adequate) regardless of "trigger" position so that the pump runs when the ignition key is switched "on" for 10 seconds then stops if the engine has not started.
b) A pendulum-type inertia safety switch that will disable the fuel pump in the case of a collision. You can typically get these really cheap from the junkyard on many Fords with EFI.
c) A oil-pressure controlled switch that will disable the fuel pump due to a loss in oil pressure to minimize the chance of catastrophic engine damage.
d) The circuit should be fuse protected, the value dependent on the current requirements of your pump.

I'd use a pump with axial flow for reliability and noise reduction (use an insulated mount as well) and either an internal or external bypass to eliminate the need for a return line.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
This is the Holley fuel pump switch, sells for around $35, but if you can find an oil pressure switch for a '74 Chevy Vega, it's the same thing. Be sure and get the one with 3 terminals.

Reactions: Mustmatt

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edit: I realized after I posted that the pump runs all the time, so maybe that's where the return would be. I don't recall there being a return port on the Holley Red pump, but it's been awhile.
So, from what I can research so far, it looks like I'll run the return line from the fuel sending unit (I bought one with two outlets - an in and out). I think I will run it along the inside of the passenger side frame rail up towards the regulator that also connects to the fuel line.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and I ran the aeromotive 11203. It’s much quieter than those noisy Holley reds and blues. I ran mine with no return and it was on my car for years with no issues. Even after the car sat for 2 years without draining that dreaded e10, we put the new motor in and it started right up and went with no issues.
Thanks. I might try that. I see it has almost 5 star reviews which is high in this category.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts