Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new MMonthly yesterday and it was a good issue. One great idea, and think is was done before in M&Fords, was making the whole door inside, vinyl or leather covered. What a great way to cover up crappy doors. It may not be orig but it doesn't look that far off. Matching yardage is avail by special order. It would put an end to the prob of the door panel not matching the metal part. The trim guy who did my seats said it's an easy do! :)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I remember that issue from Mustang&Fords a couple years back. I thought it was a good idea then – and I was strictly a purist! :p Now that I've gone restomod, I like it even more. I've considered going one further and covering my fiberglass fastback panels and trap door as well. With a thin layer of batting behind it, it would be downright luxurious! ;)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've actually replaced the original trap door with one I made. I didn't want to cut speaker holes in the original, so I used a piece of plywood and "sculpted" a couple 6x9 mounting holes with fiberglass. The surface raises up to meet the speaker grills and they look as if they're supposed to be there. I need to cover it with vinyl anyway just for the texture. I made it just a tad larger than the real door and it wedges in place nicely. It is much quieter and needs nothing else to hold it in place. A lot of good it does me now that I've put the AM back in though! :p

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I need to do this to my 66. With the 3 point seat belts in place, the kids (and swmbo) keep slamming the doors on the stupid metal piece :: Of course this really screw up the freshly painted interior of the doors at the back :( I think the solution might be at hand! ::

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The back panels in my 73 vert had lots of nicks and scratches so I had them covered in vinyl to match the seats and boot cover. Looks much better and most people don't know that it's not original.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts