Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, while i was bored today with nothing to do i took the tarp off the stang and gave her a look over. Then i grabbed a can of white spraypaint and marked up all the dents i could find.

The good news: almost all of them are very shallow and can fixed with very little actual metalwork, mainly just filling them in. On top of it all when i had it all marked out i realised there is less to do than i thought. A cheap maaco job could be had relatively soon if i worked hard and planned it right.

Now for the questions, mixed with the plan.

Ok, i plan to "jamb" the car as well as prime and fill the low areas all at once. This will be basically pulling the windshield, doing the cowl first, then pulling all the windows and weatherstrip. Then i will epoxy primer the windows/jambs and dents, let it sit for the apropriate time. Then i will put plenty of filler in all the places and paint the jambs. When the filler is dry enough ill put rattlecan over it nice and thick then smooth those sections out and then paint over them again to keep them sealed.

blah blah, youve already heard this before probably

I want to use GOOD quality paint for this part, and good quality filler because i dont want plates falling out, or channels rotting, and hopefully ill never have to pull the windows for paint in the next 15 years (assuming i stay the same color).

What epoxy primer/sealer should i go with? What filler?

What kind of paint should i use? Enamel, Urathane, etc? I want this to be good and hard, but not cause problems if they paint the rest of the body with something else.

And lastly, say i were to paint the entire car myself, what paint would you suggest a complete newbie use? I heard enamel, it sounds promising for what i want, but can i paint several coats to thicken it out? can i wetsand it after that? I want white, will blue lemans stripes look ok with the orange peel?

Sorry for the questions, i want to read up on it but i want to kick this off soon, the jambing and dent filling, and then read up really well on the next step. I want the jambing done so i can put in new weather strip and actually drive the thing!!!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Is there something wrong with the jambs that a light sanding and occasional filler won't fix? Personally, I try never to sand to bare metal unless absolutely necessary. It's always nice to get near to the original paint/primer without going through it.

All I did on my jambs was to sand them out, skim out with some good body filler, whever it needed it (limited pretty much to just a couple spots on the tops of the rockers, then rattle can primered the bondo, leaving the scuffed paint for the end primer and top coat.

I have started using the Bondo "Premium" filler. It's much easier to spread without air bubbles. It's kinda greenish. A litte more expensive than regular Bondo, but a lot less work, IMHO.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, i do have the original paint in the jambs and window areas..... ill sand them down a bit, primersealer over top of it (and surrounding bare metal), and call them good.

As for the bondo situation, i see no need for it in any jambs. also i heard to NEVER use BONDO BRAND. always use better stuff.

i was wondering if anyone had a preference on filler, or if there was a difference. I dont want any cracking or popping off, that would just ruin a paint job.

I do have the luxury of an autopaint store in my town! woo hoo! ill just ask him what he recommends if there isnt much difference between them.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hey Shagg, I don't really have any info on the paint and stuff, but for the filler....I HIGHLY reccomend POR's filler. Can't remember what it's called though. I havn't used it on the stang yet, but I've used it on other metal stuff with dents, rust, etc. It hardens just like they say. Seems just like a metal patch. Very good stuff. HTH.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u mean that stuff that comes in 2 sticks that u mix together and it can even cure under water?

G

·
0 Posts
if your filling with bondo more than a 1/4 inch it will crack. pull/dolly those areas best you can. use a high fill and build it up. Have you found a place to use to paint/work on this car? forget the rattle can if u can and get a harbor freight gun. use two diff, primer tones use one as a guide to feel/see highs and lows....etc etc.. sounds like you want a good job done and good for you. prepping is biggest step to a good paint finninsh take your time do it right. you can do it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yup, that's the one. It doesn't say anything about using it on cars on their site, but, you could probably email them and see what they say. Let me know what you find out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts