Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody make/sell good performing black shocks? I painted a set, but the paint seems to come off relatively easy.

G

·
0 Posts
Use paint stripper to get all the paint off first. Then prime and paint.

I am unaware of any black shocks available new. The KYB are white or silver, Koni orange, Monroe blue and the Motocraft ones come silver or gold!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Don't know of any. Never had a problem with paint not holding up. You might consider stripping all the paint off and starting fresh rather than overcoating

·
Registered
257 Posts
Howdy Matt,

original shocks were semi-flat-black. If you use KYB f.e. remove the rubber grommets, sand and spray the shocks semi-flat-black with some fog and press in the rubber with some soap. This will keep the rubber look natural and prevents chipping paint.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
"original shocks were semi-flat-black."

Of course this depends on what year and model we're describing ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback...I'm off to sand.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well Jeff,

that's obvious. I was replying to Matts note and he owns an early '65.

And because I have a mid '65 unrestored GT A-code I told him what I found and how I'd do it.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Joachim didn't mean it as a shot its just we often have others watching and it might not be obvious to those others.

Not sure everyone remembers all the colors used on Shelbys for example

Just trying to round out the experiance

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well Jeff,

thanks for clarifying. I am no expert on Shelbys, anyway. I guess the shocks so far they came from KONI could have been red or yellow. But that's guesswork.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Shelby shocks? Lets see... orange, blue, black, white.... quite the rainbow.
Tim

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ha! I asked Koni what color they painted their shocks when they rebuilt them, expecting some exotic color code of red/orange and they said they use Sherwin Williams bright red! Yes, I know, this has nothing to do with the correct original color, but I found it amusing and thought I would share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts