Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old boss has a 65 fastback, 289 and AOD. He was asking me what would be a good header. Knowing him and his car I feel a set of shorties would be ideal. I know a few guys have bought or used some recently that they said fit really well, JBA? So what would you guys recommend? BTW he just bought the Edlebrock port EFI injeci with matching distributor if that has any bearing on it

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I installed a set of the JBA shorties on a 68. They were tight in a couple of places like the steering box. But with a little grinding on the box I was able to get them to fit without dinging the tubes. I remember one spark plug was tight to install

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm running JBA shorties (which are actually more of a mid-length compared to other shorties) on my 66 fastback. No issues at all with spark plugs. I'm running rack & pinion steering, so can't comment about the steering box.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can't go wrong with Sanderson headers. I've got them on both '68 and 70's (302 and 351C). Their coating holds up very well. A few years ago, I had a crack at the flange on one bank after a few years. They welded and recoated no charge.
Walt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hedman 88400

Fit great. The paint on them is crap, but they are cheap and seem to work well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I installed the JBA 1650SJS "mid-length" headers with a factory steering box and T5Z (Z-bar linkage) with no clearance issues. There are a couple of plug that are more difficult to R&R than others, but nothing that I cant deal with. I should mention that I have Ron Morris engine mounts on my '66.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I used JBA's titanium on my 69 w/351w, auto w/power steering and had no problems with fitment. As mentioned, I do have a hard time getting a socket on the #4 plug. Just over a year later and they are still holding up fine. They lost the shiny appearance which helps make them look more natural in the engine bay. They are not loud and do not have that pingy sound that some do.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hedman 88400

Fit great. The paint on them is crap, but they are cheap and seem to work well.
Go for the Hedman Elite Shorty. High temp (ceramic?) coating keeps engine bay temps down and Elite has thicker head flanges. (and tubes IIRC)

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,935 Posts
Tom, I have the Hedman #-88408 Elite Ultra Duty HTC coated shorty headders on my 1987 5.0.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Both my sons have Hedman #-88408 Elite Ultra Duty HTC coated shorty headders on their cars. A 67 289 with T5 and a 68 302 with C4. Very happy with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts