Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using either the old fashion steering wheel lock or the one that locks the brake. Any advice on which one works best.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
the brake locker works best on cars that need the brake depressed to change gears and start the car and stuff. In our old cars they can do anythign they want except stop, in which case they will use the e-brake.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Either one is fairly easy to defeat for a determined thief. I'd suggest the type that hooks the steering wheel and brake pedal. In addition, open the hood and pick 2 distributor wires then reverse them. If the thief defeats the lock and starts the car .... it won't run well enough to drive. Rick

·
Registered
412 Posts
I intalled the T-lock (Whisperer) and put a kill switch on the ground side of the coil. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
33,588 Posts
If a thief really wants to steal it, then they'll defeat many mods. Heck, even the T-lok could be bypassed by simply crawling under the car and disconnecting the shifter from the trans, hot wire it, pop in drive and away you go. My manual trans setup has 2 1/4" L-shaped brackets welded to the brake and clutch pedal and a deadbold style lock which goes thru the brackets. When locked, the clutch cannot be depressed without applying the brake or vice-versa. Of course, you could always start it in gear and shift without the clutch, but it would be a PITA.

I always thought a neat idea would be a electric mico-lock plumbed into the front AND rear brake circuits with a hidden switch. When you park, you depress the brakes, set the mico-lock and the brakes are now locked until released. It would be a real pain even to winch up onto a rollback.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
This one won't be defeated easily! These have an ignition kill and a fuel cut-off, and teamed up with Whisper's T-Lock, I don't know of any thief who is going to want to stick around long enough to try and bypass it. Forget about trying to jump start it from under the hood! ;)

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/30334950.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the T-Lock and the kill switch (hidden) to the coil> I leave my 69 with the windows down and unlocked all the time whenever within earshot or in sight of my rig. Never had a prob. (would just love to catch someone trying) Anyway wisperer T-Lock is great! Don't care what ever else you have, given enough time and determination it can be gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts