Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a web site that can help my son and I arrive at a fair price for his 69 SportsRoof. He's grown tired of the car and I still love it, despite the poor physical condition he's let it slip into. He wants me to buy the car from him but we have no idea what it's worth. I thought I recalled a site that allowed you to input the year and make of older cars along with any special features and it provided a "market price" for the vehicle. Am I just smoking my socks or is there such a site?

Or....maybe you guys can help. It's a 69 SportsRoof with a black deluxe interior (seats need recovering, sail panels need to be replaced). The exterior is painted a slightly darker version of Royal Maroon. The car has four Magnum 500's on it that are now somewhat pitted and a freshly rebuilt 351W. It is very strong and has a 2400 stall converter in the FMX tied to a 3.73 TractionLoc rear end. It needs to either be color sanded and polished on the up facing surfaces or it needs a complete repaint. There are lots of stains and chips. The front fenders need to be shimmed to get them to align properly. There is the begining of rust bubbles in the corners of the doors and one spot on the hood. The car has a salvage title since it was created out of a front end damaged standard SportsRoof (whose VIN it still owns) and a thoroughly totaled Mach 1 with a good interior. I've been all through this car and, aside from some odd bolts and screws, there is no lurking Frankenstien here. No signs of major welds or serious surgery. I believe the car just got totaled because nobody wanted a standard SportsRoof with a smashed front clip. I'm thinking of offering him $6,000 but I want to be fair.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The CPI guide prices the '69 Sportsroof at $6K in "Good" condition, which is nicer than you've described. They would classify your son's car as "Fair". The 2000-2001 edition of Mustang Price Guide sets the value at $6,300 for a #3 car. So I think you have the right number in mind, when all the variables are taken into account.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The site you're describing reminds me of the Kelly Blue Book site. Unfortunately, kbb.com only goes back 20 years, so it does no good for a 69.

I recently picked up a 69 Mach1 in almost the same condition as you just described. I almost thought you were describing my car. Only difference would be the TractionLoc, where mine is just a one legger. I paid $7500, so $6000 is pretty fair for a Sportsroof with a salvage title. If you decide to get it, we should meet to compare. I'm not sure if you remember me. I was the car behind you at the last Mustangs Plus show. I believe you were also from Fremont?

Why don't you just take the car from your son?!? My dad keeps trying to do it to me!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts