Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am curious if I could fit these under my coupe with magnum 500 wheels. Anyone done it? Maybe back in the day? It says they have a 12" section width, About 28" tall and, a 9" tread width. I have looked at the chart on here but it is for modern tires and says you can only fit 235/60 15s under one. If they won't fit how could I make them fit? I don't want a rake at all!
If you have a suggestion for radials I'd like some about the same width but really like the look of the vintage tires.
Anyone run these on their mustangs back in the 60s/70s?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think everybody ran them "back in the day." With a hideous set of lift shackles and air shocks, and all the rubbing that went with it over any bump. One hell of a rake. You could always raise the front like you see people do with Cadillacs these days to fit their "22's." Don't do it. A 235/60-15 is going to be closer to an F60-15

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is no way of making them fit without giving it a gigantic rake? They aren't that much taller than stock tires, stock is about 26" or 27" tall. Do they just stick out of the fender welds too much and rub that way? I appologize for my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On a 66 they will most likely be at the edge of the fender, depending on wheel backspacing. I don't think the stock tires are that big, probably more like 23 or 24 inches.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It would fit on a later Mustang but probably won't on a '65 or '66.

Here's a couple pics of a L60-15 M/T tire on 9" rim with 5.5" rear spacing on a '69. This tire has a section width of about 12.25" and is 28.5 inches tall. About 5/16" to the leaf spring so can't tuck it in much more:

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
On a 66 they will most likely be at the edge of the fender, depending on wheel backspacing. I don't think the stock tires are that big, probably more like 23 or 24 inches.
stock size on a '65 or '66 was 6.95 x 14 which translates most closely to a 185/75-14. the diameter is 24.9" A 28" tire just isn't the way to go on the early cars unless you are going for the carnival freak show look.

btw, stock size on a '68 was Firestone G 70-15 which translates to a 225/70-15. These may rub however and a 215/65-15 (which have a diameter of 26.0") has the right look without clearance problems.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Lotta guys smashed the wheel openings on their Mustangs with these back in the 70's. M/T L60-15's were pretty much the street rodders' standard item, but it took a set of Gabriel Hi-Jackers at 90 psi to make it work. Of course, the crossmember would fail after a few months of that, but these cars were usually wrecked before that happened.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
i did H60-15 goodyear polyglass gt on 7" magnums on the back and 7" AP wheels on the front with rolled fender lips.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Why Polyglas? The ride and handling of those tires pale in comparison to modern radials. They chase grooves on the highway like nobody's business.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cause they look awesome! And they can't be that bad. I drove a 1928 ford coupe every day all through high school with the original bias ply tires and they were only like 4" wide. These can't ride any worse. haha

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
the polyglass gt was a great tire in its day. never had a groove chasing problem with mine not even at 140+ mph on I-55 in missippi ! this is one of my mustangs i had back in the 70's. it has goodyear ployglass gt h60-15 on all 4 corners. car handled and rode great.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the picture supershifter2! It doesn't look like goodyear remakes H60/15s, What was the section width on them and did you have to do anything to make them work? It looks like your stance is good. Not too much rake.
They do make a G60/15 with 9.76 section width and a F60/15 with a 9.23 section width.
Thank you afrett for the pictures also. It looks like as long as I can figure out the backspacing and don't have anything sticking out of the fender well to get hit by the fender I'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
thanks for the picture supershifter2! It doesn't look like goodyear remakes H60/15s, What was the section width on them and did you have to do anything to make them work? It looks like your stance is good. Not too much rake.
They do make a G60/15 with 9.76 section width and a F60/15 with a 9.23 section width.
Thank you afrett for the pictures also. It looks like as long as I can figure out the backspacing and don't have anything sticking out of the fender well to get hit by the fender I'll be fine.
that was back in the 70's and i dont remeber the exact width but it was at least 8" tread width. i rolled my fender lips outward as opposed to inward. i have remembered that they were 26" tall for the 15" and thats what was on this car. 15x7 magnum 500 on the back and 15x7 AP aluminum 5 spoke (like the torque thrust) on the front. i eventually went with 15x8.5 american 200s with pro-trac tires. i tried E50-15 and G50-15. i did try some radials but they wernt that good at the time. eventually the radials became awesome !!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
the polyglass gt was a great tire in its day. never had a groove chasing problem with mine not even at 140+ mph on I-55 in missippi ! this is one of my mustangs i had back in the 70's. it has goodyear ployglass gt h60-15 on all 4 corners. car handled and rode great.
The guy on the left looks like that guy Hyde on That 70's Show.

·
Super Moderator
10,036 Posts
I miss the old school terminology; 70's, 60's, 50's and of course the standard Cherry Bombs. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts