Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got ‘95 GT convertible auto transmission in a private sale. 103,000 miles. Top and interior good. Engine runs a little rough. What are the general things to look out for? Lady I brought it from said to put premium gas.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Great buy. I have had a 94GT since new. Wife drives a 98 GT convertible and son drives a 95 GT. We also have a “spare” 98 Lx Convertible.

Overall very reliable cars and easy to work on. late Model Restoration is your go to place also NPD is starting Cary stuff too.

On the 5.0L there aren’t too many worries, but the cars are 25 years old and have some areas that fail occasionally.

Here are some of the most typical issues:

1. Bad PIP sensor in the dizzy. They start becoming unreliable and the car will just die as you are driving after warming up. After cooling down they it will run again. May not fail again that day or week, but it will repeat randomly. Very frustrating when it happens. Luckily there is a very simple check and work around. unplug the SPOUT which is a test plug used to set the timing.. if the car now runs, you have confirmed it’s a PIP issue. The SPOUT bypasses the PIP letting you drive the car although in a degraded mode.

2. Failed CCRM. This is a set of relays in a box behind the radiator. It powers the fuel pump, fan ( 2 speeds), and I believe the A/C. These eventually fail so sooner or later you will need one when one of the relays dies.

3. ECU. The capacitors in the ECU eventually dry out and have to be replaced. Luckily plenty of places rebuild them now.

4. Convertible top. The stitching failed over the doors. This leads to little pin leaks that run into the floor under the back seat. When you see this start star5 planning for a new top. Also over time in the heat the convertible tops slowly shrink up over the doors until they don’t adequately cover the tops of the windows and you get leaks.

5. Window motors. The front and rear windows use the same motors. Even though the front window is many times bigger and heavier, the rear windows seem to fail the most. Probably from lack of use.

6. Ball joints are the first suspension part to wear out. Easier and cheaper to just buy whole new control arms.

7. Mach 460 radio. If equipped. great radio. But sometimes has problems with a bad ground cause very loud whine/ distortion. It is caused by a loose connection behind the drivers kick panel.

8. Window frames. The windows are glued to the frames and occasionally come loose. They are a pain removed and replace but doable. Driving a small hole and putting in a bolt at the right place can reduce the pressure on the frame preventing future failures.

9. Vacuum tree. All the vacuum accessories run through a single plastic vacuum tree. It can crack and break. You’ll notice it by rough running and the A/C may be stuck in defrost. (This might be your issue).

The car will be OBDI I so it has limited scan capabilities, but it does have some great features like a built in cylinder balance test. Since your car is running rough I would run the built in diagnostics and the balance test. You could have something simple like a bad injector or plug.

Reactions: GypsyR

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,475 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts