Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 69 mach1, m code,built in Metuchen,feb 4. I want to put it back to the way it was built.the car looks very good with a lot of original items still intact.the right side has a new door and a replaced quarter.left looks to be all original metal.anyway, a few things i am not positive about... 1- it has wider rocker panels,similer to a 68 style,not the thin ones like most 69 cars....2- it has a blacked out tail light panel,could it be original or should it be body color?....3- it has under hood insulation,would some 69 cars be factory equipped with that?its not on the Marti....4- originally equipped with front bumper guards,as per the Marti,but I dont see them in any catalogs or option sheet.would they be the same as a 68?...5-did all machs have the front spoiler? thanks for all advice!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nice looking car. There just is no better looking ride than a 69 Mach 1. Every color gives the car a different feel. Sometime during it's life there has been a few liberties taken. I'm hardly the worlds expert but.... I believe only the Boss' had blacked out tail light panel. The chin spoiler was an option. It's hard to see the rocker molding in your photo but in 69 it should be thin. Under hood insulation was an option in 69. I don't recall ever seeing front bumper guards on a 69 Mach 1. When your name is on the title, your car is your canvas.

·
Registered
506 Posts
69-70 bumper guards are not the same as 67-68, I have a pair to compare to. Check the underside of the hood, in the area of the hood pin opening. If the cut out area is round it is a 69 hood, if it is oval shape it is a 70 hood because of the hood hold down shape. 70 hood was avaiable from Ford but I don't think a 69 was. I have only seen a 70 hood with the insulation.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I recently purchased a 69 mach1, m code,built in Metuchen,feb 4. I want to put it back to the way it was built.the car looks very good with a lot of original items still intact.the right side has a new door and a replaced quarter.left looks to be all original metal.anyway, a few things i am not positive about... 1- it has wider rocker panels,similer to a 68 style,not the thin ones like most 69 cars....2- it has a blacked out tail light panel,could it be original or should it be body color?....3- it has under hood insulation,would some 69 cars be factory equipped with that?its not on the Marti....4- originally equipped with front bumper guards,as per the Marti,but I dont see them in any catalogs or option sheet.would they be the same as a 68?...5-did all machs have the front spoiler? thanks for all advice!!!
1) The rocker moldings appear correct, but the picture is not very detailed so I cannot say for certain.

2) As previously mentioned, the tail panel should be body color UNLESS it is a Boss, which it is not. That said, I too painted this in blackout because I think it looks great. I do NOT like the blackout on the trunk deck that the Boss cars also got.

3) Here I am going to differ from the previous posts. AFAIK, all the 69 cars had the under hood insulation - this is not reproduced and rarely survives - it is very uncommon to see it.

4) No.

5) No. Once again I believe in 69 only the Boss cars came with the chin spoiler and the rear wing for that matter. These were commonly added items by car owners/dealers and were available over the counter from the parts department.

Good luck,
-Rory

P.S. Tilt that wing - it is waaaaay off! And the sports mirrors should be body color too...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
P.S. Tilt that wing - it is waaaaay off! And the sports mirrors should be body color too...

Ha. I prefer the rear deck spoiler to be parallel to the ground. It just looks righter to me. I often do see it tilted parallel to the rear window though. I don't know if there is a "correct" way.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ha. I prefer the rear deck spoiler to be parallel to the ground. It just looks righter to me. I often do see it tilted parallel to the rear window though. I don't know if there is a "correct" way.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/477718-69-70-rear-spoiler-wing-mounting-angle.html

So Larry Shinoda (the person responsible for the wing) thought it should be flat...

And Parnelli Jones thought it should be tipped down in front...

As shown in the pictures above, it would actually lift the car instead of providing down force (assuming these do anything at all)...

-Rory

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill be on the rear wing right away.I'm learning the 69 cars as all my other ones have been 67 - 68.thanks for all the advice,I put on some picts to see the rocker panels,front valance for the bumper guards,it is stated on the marti report.also I got into the interior to fix some wiring issues and never know when to stop!it is all gutted, primered,new heater box, underlayment,carpet,front seats are done as is the freshly detailed dash area.working on the console now then on to rear section.wondering how redlines on a white car with black trim would look??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looks like a nice car! In the latest pictures it does look like the rocker moldings are too wide; they should only be about 1.25 inches tall. The front license plate bracket should be black, not body color. On the interior pictures it is hard to tell, but it looks like the lower metal dash and the rear fiberglass quarter panels have been painted black. The correct color is charcoal metallic.

Hope this helps - if you are trying to go "correct" as opposed to just "looks great" you should ask on the concours forum. Personally I am more in the "it is my car; I am going to make it what I want" camp.

Good luck!
-Rory

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
1- it has wider rocker panels,similer to a 68 style,not the thin ones like most 69 cars
Yours are wrong. They appear to be 67-68 panels.

2- it has a blacked out tail light panel,could it be original or should it be body color?
BOSS only. Painting the rear panel black was common practice, though, in any high school parking lot in the 70's most of them would be blacked out.

3- it has under hood insulation,would some 69 cars be factory equipped with that?its not on the Marti
Yes, certain 69-70 cars had insulation. It wouldn't be on the Marti, it simply came with the engine. The original molded pad is rare, the replacement is die-cut but flat.

4- originally equipped with front bumper guards,as per the Marti,but I dont see them in any catalogs or option sheet.would they be the same as a 68?
Too bad, they were a unique 69-70 part, very rare.

5-did all machs have the front spoiler?
No, actually the spoilers were a rare option. Your rear spoiler is at the wrong angle. Rear edge all the way up for best function. Top surface level for best appearance. With the rear edge down, it looks like mommy's station wagon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts