Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August 8 I have a date with a chassie Dyno. It ain't cheap.
$50 for 2 runs, then if you want to do any tuning $125 for the first hour and $75 for the 2nd hour.Ok
this is where I am at.
I have the standard spring in the Vac secondary of the 750 speed demon. I am at 20* initial timming with the 18* advance stop bushing in a MSD Probillet Distributer Mech advance.
I am going to mess with it a little while I have the G tech untill I get the best 0 -60 time. I think that may get me close.
If I do any tuning on the dyno. where do I start???????
I really don't know. Do I want more range on the andvance stop bushin? like 21* or 28* This stuff I can mess with before hand. but I am lost as to what to do.I value all of your imput.
Iam learning as I go but I need to learn a whole lot more at $125 hr!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
as good as the speed demon's tuning is supposed to be, you may not have to rejet it.....maybe a slightly lighter spring.....

being a worrier myself, I'd be at the ready with whatever combo of tools is needed to read plugs between pulls.......checking for detonation (which isnt always audible)

Hope your numbers make you smile!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
#1. You're gonna love it!!!

#2. Most chassis dynos are going to have air/fuel ratio readings. Won't need to pull the plugs really. I good tuner is going to set up the carb based on that. You'll want to take as many jets as you have. Just in case.

#3. Two to three timing changes probably will get you to the optimum. Again, depending upon the tuner. Make sure you know how much advance is built into the dizzy already.

The first pull will give you goose bumps. We all want to see how close we have it tuned. I was very close. Only picked up 3 hp. That was with one metering rod change and three timing adjustments.

When it's all said and done, you won't be wondering if there's any more power to get. It will be dialed in and you are good to go.

The money part gives some folks pause. But consider the cost of a set of mufflers, tires, wheels, new dist. Just look at it as another part for the car.

Enjoy and post your dyno sheet when done.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Your timing is prolly gonna be pretty close. I've heard of people running up total advance on lower compression motors to 45-50 degrees, you might want to try timing adjustments..

I like to jet a little rich on the secondaries for two reasons; 1. Helps control detonation. 2. If you wanna get "crazy" one day and uncork the headers, (Which leans the mixture) you will have already compensated for that.

I would have to have a dyno "pull" uncorked... Install new plugs before the dyno session.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think it is money well spent......to get the most out of your engine....

Sometime engines can be run as is......but fine tuning makes them all that much more efficient.

his means longer engine life, better mileage (not that this is the main reason for building up an engine) fun per gallon right?!?!

more HP...and torque

it is worth it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts