Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75 Granada 302/C4/8.7. My 67 is a I6/3spd.
Assuming that the 302 isn't locked solid, I'm pulling it and the trans
I guess the rear to get the 5 lug axles?
Disc brakes
Proportioning valve

Anything else I should grab?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
Reactions: BW66 and gt350sr

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I have been running Granada discs on my '66 for 20+ years. They work fine. On a '67 they will work better. I see no reason to spend $700 for a new kit.

Mustang Steve has a nice writeup on the Granada install.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
The main problem with the Granada conversion in this case is they are likely scabby old brakes. The only thing useful on the parts car is the spindles, which he doesn't really need. The calipers are junk, and should not be used. Same with the hoses, and master cylinder. He might be OK with the proportioning valve. The rotors probably need to be turned.

On the other hand, a 67 kit would have the 4-piston calipers same as OEM, so future maintenance would be a snap. The OEM brakes bolt on, with no change of spindles, so there's another $100+ savings.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Wheels for your car; depending on the model and condition- the steering wheel, instrument cluster, chrome trim around the windows, headlight bezels, grill, radio (if stock), taillights, steering column, etc will all bring $ on EBay if you want to dabble with it. The sport steering wheel with the 3 spokes or the one with CC can be worth over $100 if in good shape.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
According to chocko the mustang brakes are larger with 4 piston calipers.... to me thats a no Brainer

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
29 Posts
The Granada rotor hubs may need to be cut down for some wheels like style steel wheels. You can also use the sway bar if you have not already upgraded it-direct bolt in for a 67 Mustang.

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
I wouldn't bother saving the 8.7" rear end... it's an oddball with nothing in common with the other common axles.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
I wouldn't bother saving the 8.7" rear end... it's an oddball with nothing in common with the other common axles.
For some reason I thought the v8 cars had an 8"

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
From what little I was able to find, the 8.7 was only in the Granada's from 77-78- his being a 75, it should be an 8 or 9", right?

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Believe it or not, people are restoring these things. Look on FB for groups dedicated to the Granada/Monarch line.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The main problem with the Granada conversion in this case is they are likely scabby old brakes. The only thing useful on the parts car is the spindles, which he doesn't really need. The calipers are junk, and should not be used. Same with the hoses, and master cylinder. He might be OK with the proportioning valve. The rotors probably need to be turned.

On the other hand, a 67 kit would have the 4-piston calipers same as OEM, so future maintenance would be a snap. The OEM brakes bolt on, with no change of spindles, so there's another $100+ savings.
If the parts are junk, then going another route would be my choice too. However, I would not just toss the other stuff without inspecting it.

Reactions: MarkMopar

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I’m running Granada discs on 2 cars, cause I had them. Rotors can be turned, calipers are about 30 bucks at O’reilly’s. Use the old calipers for cores. 74 maverick master, use granada proportioning valve. rear bias valve not needed. i haven’t found wheel adapters to fit Granada spindles, so turn down rotor snout or adapter If you are using aftermarket rims w/o proper backspace. I’ve also installed CSRP kits, and they are great too. Someone posted Chock. Another great option. You have to look at all costs, tools & install to make up your mind.

mustang Steve and JamesW are write ups worth reading on this conversion.

·
Dimples
4,846 Posts
I’ve run Granada brakes for over 20 years. There are better options now, especially if you’ve got deep pockets, but I’ve been very happy with them. I recently overhauled the system just because it was time. All new calipers/rotors and flex lines for less than $200. Tough to beat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts