Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to talking to a classic car resto place here in Houston and I'm thoroughly impressed with these guys. They race vintage cars (one being a 66 fasback), modify, etc. All in all, a full servace vintage car shop.

My floors are rust free as best I can tell but they're badly dented under the rear seats. The fronts *may* need patching but at the price these guys gave me I may go for full pans. They want $700 for the labor. That sounds pretty good as the last guy quoted me $2200 for parts and labor!

As for the interior... I was going to do it myself but I really need to concentrate my time on work so I decided if the right price came about I'd take them up on it. Well these guys want $600 for labor to do the entire interior including painting all fiberglass, steel, new dash; literally everything.

Finally, I mentioned that I was going top put the hats on my cowl as I have the slightest little drip on the driver side. He said if I were inclined to replace all the metal, he'd do it for $550. This isn't something I really plan on doing but in case I win the lottery/get promoted/long lost rich relative dies, i'll consider it.

these prices sound pretty good don't they or am i still in a new york pricing mind-set?

thanks,
aaron

Houston, TX - 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mustang2plus267 on 04/06/01 11:41 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. I just spoke to the owner of the bodyshop where my beast is at. Sounds lke I will be picking it up this evening! Hehehe. Plan on taking it to the Porsche Club meting tomorrow (I also own a Boxster). I think they will be pleasantly suprised! Labor is the enemy in a restore/paint effort. the materials cost is relatively low, compared to the tedium of sanding and getting the surface 'right'.

Get the cowl done right.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514503

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd be inclined to spend the $500 on the cowl repair. You don't want to have to rip through the new paint<?> to fix it later, and the thought of that metal just rusting away under there is kind of a bummer. Just the labor of removing the windshield and all those spot welds is worth it.
Think of it as chemo therapy for early car cancer.

66 Coupe
C Code
http://bio.wayne.edu/dave/st51.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sounds like you got some good prices there. You might want to give Ricky Cappel a call (he is in League City), he does top quality restoration work and see what he has to say on prices over the phone, he may make it worth you driving down there. Cappels Restaurations number is 281538 6585.

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds good to me. I would also get the cowl done. If you don't, they you could have a big mess on your hands!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, I'm up here in Dfw ... can i get the info on where you got those quotes?I need to get a passenger rear qtr patch, drivers rear qtr, and tail light panel.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Those are very fair prices (although $2200 for the floors is a joke).
I too encourage you to spend the bucks to repair the cowl correctly - I think you'll be glad you did. BTW, I did mine last year and got charged $700, so you can feel like you're getting a deal.
Maybe as you are doing all of this through one shop you can strike a volume discount (just don't pay in advance). Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts