Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a real sonofabitch axle on driver's side of my 67 that will not come. Today's not my day it says.

It just laughs at slide hammer and axle puller. Actually, the puller doesn't quite fit over all three of the lugs, I could only put it on 1 lug and tighten down well. Who makes a puller that won't fit a common 4.5" lug pattern?

Tried snapping it with a logging chain. Saw my life flash before my eyes at the thought of that chain whipping up and hitting the side of my car. But it just laughed at the chain.

I don't want to get under the car and kick a tire for fear of kicking the car off the jack stands. Have tried tapping axle with hammer to free it up but have only been kind of gentle.

I have a portapower but don't see what I could butt the other end up against to try to push the axle flange out. And I wouldn't be able to get the brake backing plate off anyway.

Can use heat if I have too but didn't want to go that route. Didn't like an open flame right under the gas tank :eek:
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'd try a sledge hammer, peck it towards the center section then try the axle puller again. That or find a musclebound neighbor.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Perhaps, heating the axel flange a good bit and retry the side hammer? I wouldn't worry so much about the fuel tank, unless there is a distinct smell fuel fumes. Evidently, the bearing is hanging on with vengeance.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Penetrating oil, overnight, heat, tapping around the circumference, or splitting the bearing then repeat.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Perhaps you missed..."It just laughs at slide hammer and axle puller." This being repeated, what is a "tool that is correct"?

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
If push comes to shove (like that pun?).... grab some all-thread, nuts and washers, cut the all-thread into 4 sections, feed it through from the inside of the axle flange, thread on some nuts and washers, and working your way around use them to press against the back side of the axle flange.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you have a truck with a class III receiver may be back that up next to the mustang and with the Porta power, hook one end up to the receiver... Or the Porta power with a chain on one end around the frame of your daily driver and the other on stang axle...

Just go slow with the porta power. I know HF has 12 and 25 ton...

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
If using the Porta.......smack ( 2 lb hamer) the axel flange to introduce a "shock" factor to the area. Many time this helps.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you use a portapower to pull? Mine only pushes.

At any rate, the car is in a narrow bay so no chance of getting anything next to it. Wall is 4 feet away.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
How do you use a portapower to pull? Mine only pushes.

At any rate, the car is in a narrow bay so no chance of getting anything next to it. Wall is 4 feet away.
One could use the Porto to "push" a plate with chains or cables attached to the axel flange. The Porto needs to have a base isolated from the flange. However, I still think heating the flange all the while having a helper use the xxl puller and banging on the flange will make it give up it's hold?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also thought about putting my come along on it and getting it nice and tight, then smacking the axle or flange. But I don't have a good place to secure the other end of the come along.

Ken why would you heat the axle flange and not the actual part of the axle tube where the bearing is sitting?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If push comes to shove (like that pun?).... grab some all-thread, nuts and washers, cut the all-thread into 4 sections, feed it through from the inside of the axle flange, thread on some nuts and washers, and working your way around use them to press against the back side of the axle flange.
I like this idea too...use similar concept for separating spindle from ball joints. But I'm having a difficult time picturing this. Might make sense when I'm sitting in front of the axle again.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Get the slide hammer hooked up again with at least 2 nuts on it. I have never had one that did not come out that way. Some just took longer to get to budge.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's no way to get the slide hammer hooked up with two nuts. The axle puller that bolts on will not fit over more than one lug. I even tried grinding out the holes in the puller a little bit. If I force it on, it will ruin the threads.

Only thing I could try is if I try one from Autozone instead of O'reilly.

I think the slide hammer is going to break my hand before it breaks the axle loose.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
There's no way to get the slide hammer hooked up with two nuts. The axle puller that bolts on will not fit over more than one lug. I even tried grinding out the holes in the puller a little bit. If I force it on, it will ruin the threads.

Only thing I could try is if I try one from Autozone instead of O'reilly.

I think the slide hammer is going to break my hand before it breaks the axle loose.
Here are some pics of what I use. Get the correct slide hammer as it is your best bet for removing a stuck axle. I have been doing this for a lot of years and have always got the stubborn axles out this way. It will come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
My drivers side was stuck the same way. I tried everything, chains, heat, nothing worked until I got a 10# slide hammer on Amazon and the crowsfoot attachement for the axle. Within 10 minutes it was off.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Crow’s foot attachment I have will not fit on the lugs. I need to try a different one. I just don’t want to be running all over for nonessential stuff right now.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Well Sleep is essential, And I wouldn't be getting any if I let an axle win. wink wink?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I also thought about putting my come along on it and getting it nice and tight, then smacking the axle or flange. But I don't have a good place to secure the other end of the come along.

Ken why would you heat the axle flange and not the actual part of the axle tube where the bearing is sitting?
That's more detail in the heating. Yes, I agree, just the area around the bearing, to be more specific. That must be one stuck bearing!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts