Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well I got the new third member installed today, but IMO this lubelocker gasket is a giant POS. It doesn't use sealant so there's no way to make it sit tight against the housing as you're trying to install the differential. It pops out and gets in the way as you're trying to man handle a heavy differential in. So the bottom of the gasket ripped completely, right in the center. A $27 gasket doesn't really do me any good if it doesn't stay out of the way when I'm trying to install and it rips. I put a little glob of sealant around that stud where it ripped. I'm sure it will hold, but to be sure, before assembling anything else, I torqued it down and filled with a few quarts of gear oil and will check tomorrow if there's a drip there. If not, I'll finish installing everything else.

Interestingly, mine didn't have any copper washers when I took it off.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well I got the new third member installed today, but IMO this lubelocker gasket is a giant POS. It doesn't use sealant so there's no way to make it sit tight against the housing as you're trying to install the differential. It pops out and gets in the way as you're trying to man handle a heavy differential in. So the bottom of the gasket ripped completely, right in the center. A $27 gasket doesn't really do me any good if it doesn't stay out of the way when I'm trying to install and it rips. I put a little glob of sealant around that stud where it ripped. I'm sure it will hold, but to be sure, before assembling anything else, I torqued it down and filled with a few quarts of gear oil and will check tomorrow if there's a drip there. If not, I'll finish installing everything else.

Interestingly, mine didn't have any copper washers when I took it off.
How did it "pop out"? I've installed, and re-installed a few of these never having a problem like that. In my case, if anything they were hard to fit on the bolts. Popping off was the last thing it wanted to do. Your bolts were tight in the housing, right?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How did it "pop out"? I've installed, and re-installed a few of these never having a problem like that. In my case, if anything they were hard to fit on the bolts. Popping off was the last thing it wanted to do. Your bolts were tight in the housing, right?
Yes, the gasket fit over the bolts perfectly but didn't want to rest snug against the housing. It would sit about halfway down the thread. Like if you pushed it against the housing it would pop back some.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, the gasket fit over the bolts perfectly but didn't want to rest snug against the housing. It would sit about halfway down the thread. Like if you pushed it against the housing it would pop back some.
That’s strange. Did it look like it had been bent in half pretty hard somewhere along the line, and wasn’t totally flat?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That’s strange. Did it look like it had been bent in half pretty hard somewhere along the line, and wasn’t totally flat?
No, it had never been bent. It was just kind of 'springy.' Just didn't want to lay tight and flat against the housing.

Actually after I had fought the differential and finally got it right on the tips of the studs, I noticed that that damn gasket had come off two of the studs so I had to pull the differential back off and fix the gasket. There's a bunch of nuns at a catholic church 1 mile down the road, I hope they couldn't hear me.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts