Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my door tag today. Been waiting since end of October. Came by USPS and it's bent. Oh well guess it will straighten when I put it on.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
What transmission is an "X" ? Based on the "3" axle code, you must have a T code ( 200 ) engine. I have the same axle code on my Sprint 200 with a C4. You look to be missing your scheduled build day too. You have March ( C ), but not the day. I am assuming you have a `66 based on your avatar.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
66sprint200,
Good eye.
My drivers door is not original to the car. It is a '65 so I didn't have a door tag. I had to change the window and door cranks to '66. So for the fun of it I thought I would get a door tag. My '66 is a combination of cars that my dad and I have had in the past. When my dad retired, we took parts from a couple of cars and put this car together. The X is for a FMX automatic transmission. I just guessed at the rear end ratio. The 9" rear end and the FMX transmission came out of a '69 Mach 1. The FMX transmission is older than the C4 and C6 but is strong and bullet proof. They used them on earlier Ford cars and Mustangs with 351 engines, not 289's. My 289 is out of a '67 cougar I had in high school. Anyway I just picked a date, and since I'm in N.C. I picked Charlotte for the DSO. Color and trim is correct.
Dad past away 3 years ago and the car had been in a barn for 15 years. I got it last year and have been working on it. Interior, engine, trunk areas restored. The body has some repair panels that I plan on replacing. Got a new bumper for Christmas. I'm not to concerned about numbers match and all that stuff. Would never sell it anyway, it was Dad's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4ocious,
So you can't see it.:)

·
I won a special award
7,617 Posts
Scratching out the license plates in pictures seems like overkill to me also. Everyone sees my tags when I drive around...
Driving around with your tags visible and putting it on the internet is a little different. Only the people close to your car are going to see your tags when it's out and about. Put it on the internet and everyone everywhere has it. Some people are unscrupulous and will try to use your plate or VIN in an attempt to locate you or your car. I take my privacy very seriously for reasons I don't care to delve into. I prefer to keep my information private and not spread it all over the internet. Hence, I will not post my full VIN or license plate number on the internet.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Maybe somebody's in the Witness Protection Program.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Driving around with your tags visible and putting it on the internet is a little different. Only the people close to your car are going to see your tags when it's out and about. Put it on the internet and everyone everywhere has it. Some people are unscrupulous and will try to use your plate or VIN in an attempt to locate you or your car. I take my privacy very seriously for reasons I don't care to delve into. I prefer to keep my information private and not spread it all over the internet. Hence, I will not post my full VIN or license plate number on the internet.
I can see that point. If someone is specifically looking for a car like yours, having that information online could help them track it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Scratching out the VIN or license plate helps the Mustang community as a whole. Lord knows how many people have been scammed on the internet by people selling cars that they don't have, using pictures from the internet. A lot of people fall for deals that are too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That's why those "hand made" door tags are so cool. You can make your base coupe into whatever you wish it was. My 66 has the original door tag and the numbers call for a 4 spd manual trans and 2.8 rear end gears and everything else matches the car. However, the VIN calls for a 289 engine while mine sports a 200 I6. Plus the rear end is 4 lug as is the front suspension. Since I doubt that it's a "one of a kind" production car, I'm sure someone used the V8 & rear end and swapped everything else in the drive train over to the 6 cylinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts