Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the doors hung and aligned pretty nice. i don't have any other car to look at for the gaps so my question is should they be consistent? is there a general width for the gaps? the lower door to rocker is gap is not even- closer to the rocker in the front, higher in back.not completely horrible. both doors close nice and the door tops to 1/4 are about dead even. would this be right? chalk it up to production differences or do i have more adjusting to do?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but not to the car. both driver and passenger are for different cars.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The hinge mounts need to be just tad higher. Take your time and keep working with them. You can get to where the bottom gap to the rocker is parallel and the back edge is perfect with the quarters top. You can use a paint stick as a general guide for the back door edge. Drop the fender on to see how much gap is there.

Takes a little working back and forth, but it's not hard once the doors are hung. And it's a nice feeling of pride when you get them perfect. Be advised that the weight of the windows and mechanism's can pull a door down some if you're adjusting them empty. Some folks put weight in to make sure it's taken into account.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I like to use the small wooden paint paddles as a gauge. If you can get all you gaps that close it will look great. I prefer the Home Depot ones.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I like to use the small wooden paint paddles as a gauge. If you can get all you gaps that close it will look great. I prefer the Home Depot ones.
excellent advice , also do yourself a favor and have doors on and aligned when paint time comes . aligning freshly painted doors is a p.i.a. you can paint the fenders off the car and hang later .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts