Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mounts came in Friday and I installed them today. Aside from not having much room to maneuver I got them in fairly easily. It was time for an oil change so I removed the oil filter to make more room on the driver's side. Neither of the mounts I removed looked cracked. One was thicker and had a rubber looking button thing that went all the way through the mount. The other was thinner and looked like my replacement mounts from Anchor, except it had a rubbery coating around the edges. As you may recall, I was replacing the mounts in an attempt to fix vibration at idle, and because the fan had recently began to dig into my lower radiator hose and clamp. Well, I replaced the mounts and cranked the car. Needless to say, antifreeze began spewing everywhere! The motor was actually sitting lower than it was before (DOH!). I should have checked that before cranking, I suppose. So I send my better (and apparently more intelligent) half to Autozone for a hose. The fan was pretty messed up from hitting the hose/clamp so I tried to remove it so I could freshen it up with a bench-top grinder. No luck since the bolts were so bloody long, so I had to pull the radiator (no big deal since the fan had already taken care of the draining issue). I did a little work on the fan, and put it back in to see how it worked (I was afraid it might be out of balance, after smacking into stuff and having material ground away with the grinder). I crank up again, and this time transmission fluid shoots out from the tranny cooler line (DOH!) Well, anyway my wife finally brought the hose and I have everything back together and driving well. I think I'm going to have to replace the fan, though, as it seems to want to wobble. Its a good thing I actually enjoy working on my car. Happy Easter!

Shane

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
fix the fan as soon as you can as the vibration might damage the bearings in the water pump

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joy, something else to worry about. It currently has a 6 blade aluminum flex-type fan. I guess I'll get another 6 blade, with slightly shorter blades to avoid any clearance issues. With the small amount of metal I removed I don't have a clearance problem any more, but the blades are apparently warped enough to cause the vibration. Is there an easy way to fix this, and if not, any recommendations on where to get a replacement that will do what I need it to do??

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

1 - 3 of 3 Posts