Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by prefacing I don’t want to go manual, so that takes options off the table.
I have a 351w I just got ready for my 67 Stang ,. I also have a case filled C4 (72-74) I was planning on rebuilding for it. When I got my engine back I started getting many opinions on whether the C4 would be a good option for the 351w and some suggested going AOD.
I plan on using this as a cruiser mostly, but I live in LA so no doubt I will need to hit the highway once in awhile to get from A to B.
Will the C4 work, or should I go for a C6 or AOD? Any help is appreciated! Lots of opinions and trying to read and learn as much as I can

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If you have a big cam the AOD convertor might be too tight.

·
Registered
36,688 Posts
The C4 will work, of course, and with aftermarket parts can be built plenty tough. The C6 was used on the 351C 4V, of course, but gives a lot more parasitic loss than the C4.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you are not going on a lot of long distance runs, the C4 would be the cleanest. No issues with headers, no additional cross member changes, no driveshaft alteration, no linkage special parts. I'm adding an AODE to the 65 because we will be going to the mountains and the beach, both hours away. This will require a different cross member and special linkage for the TV cable, but no special controller. It also bleeds over into a new rear end ratio: 3.55 from 3.0 which puts the revs in a better range. A 4R70W will require a special cross member, a controller with harness, drive shaft modification and different linkage. A 4R70W has been known to interfere with headers of various types so some homework is necessary for success there. It also has the best gearing for overall performance.

Reactions: Feli67

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes - get a c4 from a reputable builder - In the NE Dynamic is great - but you should have someone more local to you

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Good install thread for a 4R70W, if you chose that route.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
My C4s have been ridiculously reliable and leak free. No complaints. I have a street/highway rear gear so I only have wanted the AOD on long trips.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,726 Posts
I've become addicted to overdrive. These days I just can't stand to drive a V8 that doesn't settle into a 1500 RPM cruise at about 50 MPH. That would be the ONLY reason I would choose an AOD over the C4.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Why don't you want to go with a manual transmission? I love having a T5 with a 5th gear for on the freeway because with a 3.50 rear gear I'm only spinning 2,000 rpm at 70mph. That's much better imo than revving up to 3,500 rpm or greater on the freeway at cruising speed, especially if you're going to be on a cruise for hours on end and don't have A/C.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Living in LA, I can certainly understand not wanting to go manual. I'm not a fan of automatics, but I am a SoCal native and, sheesh, I would not want to be stuck in sixteen lanes of bumper to bumper with a manual.

The C4 is a tough and reliable trans. If properly rebuilt, it will easily go a quarter million miles. Put in a high stall converter and a shift kit and it will do so with a little more fun.

If you're willing and able to spend the time, effort and money, an automatic overdrive would be really nice. But that's only if you have all three of those.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Living in LA, I can certainly understand not wanting to go manual. I'm not a fan of automatics, but I am a SoCal native and, sheesh, I would not want to be stuck in sixteen lanes of bumper to bumper with a manual.

The C4 is a tough and reliable trans. If properly rebuilt, it will easily go a quarter million miles. Put in a high stall converter and a shift kit and it will do so with a little more fun.

If you're willing and able to spend the time, effort and money, an automatic overdrive would be really nice. But that's only if you have all three of those.
She said in her first post that she's going to use it mostly as a cruiser but will see the highway on occasion. I could see not wanting a manual for a daily driver, that being said it doesn't sound like it's going to be used as one. Although I could be wrong...

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
Rebuild your C-4, add the usual suspects in hop-up parts (good frictions, larger servo, etc). Get a converter to match the cam in your 351W and go drive. C-4 is arguably the easiest automatic to rebuild. The other options can add significant costs that yield minimal returns.

Bad Shoe has good videos on rebuilding most transmissions.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If cost and some fitment aggravations are not objectionable the 4r70w would be the ultimate transmission behind that beautiful 351.
The 4r70w can be set up to extract the most performance from your engine as well as getting the best fuel mileage.
The AOD is a good tranny but a bit out dated, I put one in my 68 behind a 331 many years before the more versatile 4r70w was available. I am happy with the AOD by the way.
From what I have read from your past posts it seems like it is well within your capabilities Good luck on your choice.

Reactions: Mach1 Driver

·
Registered
99 Posts
What gear ratio do you have in the rearend? I have 3:55's and didn't like it on the freeway for long trips with a C-4. Others may have different opinions.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,575 Posts
First let me start by prefacing I don’t want to go manual, so that takes options off the table.
I have a 351w I just got ready for my 67 Stang ,. I also have a case filled C4 (72-74) I was planning on rebuilding for it. When I got my engine back I started getting many opinions on whether the C4 would be a good option for the 351w and some suggested going AOD.
I plan on using this as a cruiser mostly, but I live in LA so no doubt I will need to hit the highway once in awhile to get from A to B.
Will the C4 work, or should I go for a C6 or AOD? Any help is appreciated! Lots of opinions and trying to read and learn as much as I can

View attachment 770187
You sell yourself way too short in not going to a manual, if its because you "don't know how to drive a manual". Compared to what you have already done, learning to drive a stick would be like falling off a log. That being said, if you want to stick to auto you are at a sort of crossroad, as many of us always are. The C4 can be rebuilt and be reliable and will hold up to the engine AND you already have it. The cons will be higher RPMs on the highway when you do go there. It will still hold up, it will just spin the motor more. The motor likely won't care, so it comes down to are you willing to deal with the higher revs (sound, maybe some more vibration, etc.). An AOD would be a step up because you get the overdrive. But if you were going to go to the trouble of ditching the C4 for an AOD, it's a money and complexity leap to go on to the newer 4R70W. That would be your ideal if you are staying auto. But to one of your original questions, a rebuilt C4 with good parts will work just fine.

Reactions: MUSTANG65FBK

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The C4 that was on my '65 was great up until it wasn't, and that's when it was replaced with the T5. But, I plan on going with an AOD on my '72 (originally an FMX). Why an AOD? Even though my daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip, I have gone and plan on going on road trips where the extra gear will be nice. Also, my '73 had a 3.50 rear with the original FMX in there as well, and highway driving was pretty brutal. If you're planning on sticking with tall gears and not going on any long trips, I'd say save yourself the trouble and stick with a C4. If you want a bit more pep, and planning on going with shorter gears, definitely look into getting the AOD.

·
Registered
853 Posts
C4 over DOA any day...I mean AOD.

When I lived in Cali, I had 289/c4/2.80 and cruised I5,99, and SF Bay area with no problems keeping up with traffic at all.

Several years ago I upgraded to Currie trac lock with 3.25 gears with TCI built C4 with same 289.
Highway cruising was still great.

With a 351w you’ll have more torque than the tires can handle.

Reactions: rpm
1 - 20 of 37 Posts