Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Fastback, 289, T5-5 speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after lots of searching, want adds, bartering, "horse trading" I finally have a T5 to put in my car. I'm into it for $150 CAD ($110 USD) From all the research I did this will work fine for my "stockish" Sunday driver car. 1968 mustang 289, 3 speed.

I will use my existing clutch and bellhousing. I will buy the adapter plate, cross member and then shorten the driveshaft if required.

Attached are pictures with all the numbers I found. Feel free to tell me any data you can from the numbers and any issues you may see.

Before I put it in the car I want to check it over to make sure it is okay. The seller told me it works good with no issues however I can't really trust that. If I pull the top cover off and look inside how can I tell if everything is okay? The input shaft turns nice and smooth by hand in all gears. Or maybe I will just take it to a shop and have it looked over.

Thanks. I'm very excited to upgrade my 3 speed. Once I get the T5 installed my next plan is 3.55 rear gears.

I will post the pictures.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to ask. What are the two electrical plugs for? Also will my stock speedo gear work in this T5? How come this T5 has an electrical connector on it?

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
'86.5-'89 Mustang/Cougar 5.0. 3.35 1st gear. Electrical connector on the side is backup lights. Don't know about the one on top- maybe a NSS?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
If you mean the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS), I saw no real need for it and left it disconnected on mine. See this:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I forgot to ask. What are the two electrical plugs for? Also will my stock speedo gear work in this T5? How come this T5 has an electrical connector on it? View attachment 760295
Your gearbox has an electronic speedometer sensor on it. Later cars had electronic speedometers that were not cable-driven. When you remove it, you should be able to plug in your speedometer cable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the 3.35 first gear you really will not need to go to 3.55 gears.
Interesting. I'll defiantly try out the T5 for a while before changing gears. Originally I had wanted to change only the rear gears to 3.55 Then doing research for that everyone said the T5 is the way to go for the overdrive.

Basically sounded like the T5 and 3.55 gears are a great combo.

I'll get the T5 in and try it out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
With the 3.35 first gear you really will not need to go to 3.55 gears.

What fun is that? A lot of us run 3.70/3.73 with a 3.35 first gear T5, its a blast!!! (Tires are cheap :) )

·
Super Moderator
9,746 Posts
Document the install, I’d like to follow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Document the install, I’d like to follow.
Will do. Step 1 is to find a T5 from an 86-92 Mustang V8. Start with that because it could take a while.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
What fun is that? A lot of us run 3.70/3.73 with a 3.35 first gear T5, its a blast!!! (Tires are cheap :) )
I suppose those of you with '67 and newer have room for a little more meat than those of us with 65-66s. My 225s are no match for my 2.95 first gear and 3.55 T-loc. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a great find. I've continued to strike out looking for another.
It wasn’t easy. I put a bunch of want ads and posts on local FB groups. I even bought an entire car for the T5 only to find out it was the wrong T5. Other T5’s I found for sale were potentially “molested” and the ID tags missing so you have no idea what your buying. Or people wanted $1500 for them.

This one I got came out of a wrecked car with the original ID tag still on it. Never been apart. Got it for a great price. Hopefully the insides are all good.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
This one I got came out of a wrecked car with the original ID tag still on it. Never been apart. Got it for a great price. Hopefully the insides are all good.
You may have a bonus of it being rebuilt sometime in its life because I have never seen one painted before. I can only think that was done while out for a service of some kind.
Also the KFXXXX stamp ive not seen, I might guess is a sort of partial VIN you might try to Xreference in some spare time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may have a bonus of it being rebuilt sometime in its life because I have never seen one painted before. I can only think that was done while out for a service of some kind.
Also the KFXXXX stamp ive not seen, I might guess is a sort of partial VIN you might try to Xreference in some spare time.
I wasn't sure if it was normal to be painted.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and it's painted really well. I pressure washed the entire unit and the paint barely came off. You would think if someone did a fast rattle can paint job it would all peel and flake off.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts