Vintage Mustang Forums banner

101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks. I think if I take out the cross member I might be able to lower the tranny enough to get the shifter out the top. I really don't want to take the tranny out again. I would maybe remove it from the bell housing and slide it back a little but not a full removal. Maybe I would open up the tunnel hole a little. I already did so maybe it would work.
MAYBE. Guess its all in how forgiving your motor mounts are. Could possibly loosen them up as well.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Fastback, 289, T5-5 speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Final piece of the puzzle completed.

I unbolted the collector pipes and the tranny crossmember. That dropped it a couple inches and I was able to put a Hurst short throw shifter in no problem.

I had to monkey around a little with the shifter stop clearance but it's all good.

The stock square shaped boot would not fit over the collar of the aftermarket shifter. (It did fit with the stock T5 shifter)

I used the rectangular boot from Hurst. I also think a 69-70 boot would work.

I did have to cut the flange a little on the chrome console trim. I didn't love having to do that knowing how rare and hard these consoles are to find but I'll never ever go back to a 3 speed so who cares.

So to recap I have a 1989 T5, keep stock clutch and bellhousing. Used adapter plate and special crossmember. Shortened driveshaft 1/2" and put a Hurst shifter, lever, and boot. Expect to do a little trimming around the tunnel opening. A few extra mods required if you put an aftermarket shifter on. I recommend the aftermarket shifter just like everyone else will say.

HUGE improvement. So fun to drive!! Next on the list is 3.55 LS gears.

101 - 102 of 102 Posts