Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my TredWear lettering installed on my tires last night and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. It's easy to install and should last the life of tire. It doesn't stick out like I thought it would, barely further than the lettering already on them. I've always loved the way white letters look on a tire.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,631 Posts
What are they stuck on with? The website just shows a bottle that looks like it might be superglue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you did that yourself on a tire can someone please explain to me how people find it so difficult to center an ugly, scripted monogram on their rear window? The white lettering looks great, by the way. And no offense to people with ugly, scripted monograms. Just please center them.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you did that yourself on a tire can someone please explain to me how people find it so difficult to center an ugly, scripted monogram on their rear window? The white lettering looks great, by the way. And no offense to people with ugly, scripted monograms. Just please center them.
Makes me think of the "tramp stamp" tattoos that suddenly became popular. No offense to painted ladies with tattoos in the small of their backs or to actual tramps. Just please cover them. At least, if you're morbidly obese or you could be sued for false advertising when you turn around.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I've always been curious about these. What I would really want is a set that would exactly match the (black) lettering on whatever tires I have, so they would just center right over top and effectively make the black lettering white. Do you know if they are capable of doing that? Not sure if they do different fonts or anything.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Ya thanks...... looks cool, Googled it, like it, spent like the last 20 mins scanning the images!! lol

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
These would be really neat for a "Day 2" restoration, where lots of cars had their rims and tires swapped for some huge steamroller white letter tires and mags. Or a Goodyear/Firestone logo for the 69-up cars for that original look without sending $1500 to Coker Tire.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've always been curious about these. What I would really want is a set that would exactly match the (black) lettering on whatever tires I have, so they would just center right over top and effectively make the black lettering white. Do you know if they are capable of doing that? Not sure if they do different fonts or anything.
Looks like they have a few branded tire sets and an option to design a set:
https://tredwear.com/product-category/branded-tire-kits/

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
They also have what they call a "Factory Style Letter Kit". I've attached a screenshot from their page. I believe it answers Kelly_H's question.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are they stuck on with? The website just shows a bottle that looks like it might be superglue.
They call it industrial strength adhesive, it instantly bonds rubber and skin. I wore gloves just in case, my skin is attached in all the places it needs to be at the moment. Once you put the letter on the tire, you have a few seconds to position it before it locks down. It stays flexible though so time will tell how well it holds up. I guess how I cleaned it would be a deciding factor as well. The instructions said to clean the spot 5 times with a strong detergent that has no bleach or petroleum products. I had some original formula Bleche-Wite that I used which despite the name, I could find no mention of bleach in the ingredients. You rough it up with the provided sand paper and then clean it once more with a 50-70% isopropyl alcohol solution. I've got about 100 miles on them and they are still firmly attached.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Now you have to change your signature pic.

·
Administrator
19,631 Posts
I would say it's superglue. Stuff definitely works instantly (and pretty darn well ) on rubber. If you go to a hobby shop you might see four or five different varieties of cyanoacrylate. High strength, medium, slow drying, etc. Perhaps there's a version particularly suited to this application. My main concern would be longevity. I wouldn't expect them to last forever but I can picture one or two letters flapping loose/missing/torn while the rest are bonded on so well as to be unremovable by any practical means. Whatever the adhesive, tires do live in a pretty harsh environment. Rubber flexes and superglue is brittle. It's very possible that's not a concern with these though, I don't know.

Doesn't really put me off. My '67 currently has a set of tires that don't have just a whole lot of life left in them and so would be ideal candidates for trying these things myself. Since my car is showing no signs of being put on the road any time soon it might be fun thing to do and no doubt they'd last fine for me.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Looks like they have a few branded tire sets and an option to design a set:
https://tredwear.com/product-category/branded-tire-kits/
Need to do some with great kitchy names like Superwide XSS, Hercules Honcho 60, Kelly Super Chargers, Super Stock/Formula 1, ProTrac 60 and others. I used to collect oddball vintage tires, probably still have a couple stashed in the crawlspace under the kitchen. Heck, you could get a "performance" 60 from just about any place and choose anything from a low key small letter tire like a Goodyear, to a 3" tall block lettered SS/F1.

Here's the Superwide XSS that was on my '71 when I bought it. The other three were white pinstripes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,631 Posts
I got the impression on their website that they would spell anything you wanted. The sample pictures and names are basically to illustrate the available/common fonts they use. Is that right?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the impression on their website that they would spell anything you wanted. The sample pictures and names are basically to illustrate the available/common fonts they use. Is that right?
Exactly the same impression here. Seems like a very custom order to whatever the customer wants. I'm interested to see just how custom they'll go, given there's a place you can upload a photo. I'm not sure if that's for the purpose of creating a font (in which case something like an Adobe Illustrator file would be much better) or if they will do their best to find a similar font.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Wow! Looks like they have really upped their offerings - early on I remember they just did the one font but yeah it now looks like they can do pretty much anything! That's amazing.

Maybe I will finally escape the "performance" RWL tire market and get some actual good tires that I can then turn into RWL for the look I want and the performance I need!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts