Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Ive went through 2 of these..... the roller bearings shot out of both of them. I got a new one today. Im trying to install my lock cylinder in my ignition switch. It is a 1968 Mustang. How do I do this? I can't seem to figure it out. Ive tried pushing that pin down, and all that other junk, and I can't seem to get it in. I don't want to screw this one up. Please help.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If your lock installs the same as my '66: put the key in the lock, turn the key to the accessory position (left), insert the switch into the housing, then with a fine pointed "something", depress the little ball in the little hole and turn the key more to the left. The lock cylinder will rotate counter clockwise a bit and slip right in.

I know it does not sound right that you turn it in to the left, but once it slips in it end up in the right direction.

Good Luck,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The cylinder will only slide in ONE way. Look at the inside of the ignition switch and compare it to the tumbler set, and you'll see what I mean. The tubler set will have a "flat side" on it. This must correspond to the "blockage" in the ignition switch. Then you must make sure that the "slot" in the ignition switch is facing the same dircetion as the blade of the tumbler when it slides in. Use a small flat head screw driver to move the position of the slot in the ignition switch if needed (which you probably need to do).

NOTE: DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE DOING IT. The iginition switch is going to be in some very "abnormal" positions while you install it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts