Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I got all the bolts out of the old manifold okay but the only problem now is the steel pipe that goes up to the carb broke off. Any ideas how to fix that, can I braze a piece on to the pipe that goes to the carb? Is it needed to make the car run? Thanks Tater

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Okay I got all the bolts out of the old manifold okay but the only problem now is the steel pipe that goes up to the carb broke off. Any ideas how to fix that, can I braze a piece on to the pipe that goes to the carb? Is it needed to make the car run? Thanks Tater
That's the choke tube, and yes, you need a choke to get it to run properly. Everyone has these kits, the 6 cylinder kit is the least expensive. Glazier/Nolan calls it G08301.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about the choke tube. If you don't hook it back up, your choke won't work. You can try to repair it, buy a new one, or you can fashion a new one out of some steel line. You can run without a choke, it'll just be harder to start.

Edit: ^^beat me to it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info I think I'll just try and fix this one. Pretty sure i can braze a steel pipe in it the pipe that goes to carb.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
thanks for the info I think I'll just try and fix this one. Pretty sure i can braze a steel pipe in it the pipe that goes to carb.
No! NO BRAZING. It's a 1/4" pipe, shoved into the hole. Brazing would risk damage for no good reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I not going to braze on manifold just the steel pipe. going to insert smaller pipe and braze them together before i install it in manifold.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
No I not going to braze on manifold just the steel pipe. going to insert smaller pipe and braze them together before i install it in manifold.
It's ordinary 1/4" steel tubing from any auto parts store. Ditto the brass fitting. Only the insulating sleeve is difficult, and I'm guessing since you haven't mentioned it, it's missing. Spend the $14 and get the kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks for info the sleeve is still there. Will check into the kit Monday. You guys are a great source of wealth here thanks again.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Okay, thanks for info the sleeve is still there. Will check into the kit Monday. You guys are a great source of wealth here thanks again.
You can do this whole job without the tube, just remember the choke won't work without it. You can adjust the choke to the off position and use it that way, just remember it'll run lousy for a few minutes when you start it up. Then you can install the tube later, when you get the parts.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
You can adjust the choke to get a compromise and it will work to a certain extent. I did it this way for the first 15 years I owned my 67 because I did not know any better.

However, it's real easy to replace the choke tube and get it right.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the choke must not work now with tube in place as the car runs lousy for a few minutes then clears up. Would the busted manifold cause this?

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
If the tube was cracked where it attached, or if the stove in the manifold was clogged, it wouldn't work properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts