Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my radiator today and long story short it is too thick for my clutch fan to work . I guess a regular fan might work if i modified the spacer block but I am not really liking that. Can you all steer me in the right direction in my search for an electric fan and relay? I have 20 wide 16 tall and 3 1/4 thick to work with. Push fan is out because of the AC condenser .I will not be too fussy about looks so a taurus fan or something would be ok if that is practical ' As far as cotrollers, do I want stand alone or something more complex ? Not ready for wiring yet but would be nice to know my options. Going in 68 Ranchero w 351w EFi with no harness yet .

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I’ve been looking at fans from GC Cooling .

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
The Contour/Taurus fans require a 24" radiator. You could probably modify the radiator mount a little and move the radiator forward for more room

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Contour/Taurus fans require a 24" radiator. You could probably modify the radiator mount a little and move the radiator forward for more room
Have been searching for that info thanks. To bring the radiator forward would require a frame notch and would ask for trouble with the condenser coil mounting. The best i could do is get my radiator 1 inch forward from the clutch fan. Sounds crazy but it probably the cheapest option. I would be happy with a clutch fan and factory shroud I think

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
With electric fan, be prepared to upgrade your alternator...although with the serpentine belt system maybe you already have a 3g alternator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With electric fan, be prepared to upgrade your alternator...although with the serpentine belt system maybe you already have a 3g alternator.
10-4 on that Controlers get complicated also when the computer needs to know when the ac is on so it can ramp up the cooling fan and all. Did not want to get into all that just yet. The frame notch is looking more rdical to me now at a second glance. Can see how a flex fan and shroud could be a quick fix but not liking that either Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I would return that radiator and go with the 24" version. More of the surface area will be open and not be restricted by the AC condenser. You can then go with a 2 row and fit the fan or have the correct width for the Taurus fan.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm also thinking that a 20 inch rad is too small for a 351 with air. With a 24 inch a contour set up would be perfect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would return that radiator and go with the 24" version. More of the surface area will be open and not be restricted by the AC condenser. You can then go with a 2 row and fit the fan or have the correct width for the Taurus fan.
could not have tried harder but scratched the radiator so can not take it back

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do make low profile clutch fans
Thanks have been searching all day but did not use the term "low profile" That Haden standard rotation low pro could work but I would have to ditch the serpentine front dress that i have because my water pump is reverse rotation I only have a 95 amp alt and not so sure the compressor will work either. I am trying to read some of the old threads to determine my amp requirements

·
Registered
858 Posts
You can buy different thickness fan spacers at just about any auto parts store. The one I have is made by flex a lite.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe 302/331
11 Posts
Check Flexalite Elec Fan, it come with controller so you can set what temp to turn on. Go to their website for dimentions, it fits 20" radiator.

I have one I'm not using if you want to buy it.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Taurus fan and Contour fan are two different things. The Taurus fan supposedly will fit a 20" radiator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after a lot of research, I want a 24" radiator and the contour fans.I will try and sell the 20" radiator. I scratched it and can not take it back. Never had water in it. 3 row alluminum for 70 mustang .Payed $300.
Will ship for $175. I tried to set up a paypal to get payed but not yet sure if it works paypal.me/68lightning

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am running a 24 inch radiator in my 65. Takes a little cutting but the finished product looks good. I was running the contour fans, with an aftermarket controller. These fans can pull some serious Amps. Make sure you get a controller that can handle up like 70 amps. I burned my cheap one up. The Dakota digital controller looks nice. But, I switched back to my clutch fan, and mounted a fan in front on my AC condenser. I run hood pins, so was able to get rid of the hood latch support. The electric fan with the controller I have now comes on around 200 degrees. Car never gets hotter than that. 192 degree thermostat. Here is a picture with old fans (modified contour fans). Don't mind the ugly wiring. I have cleaned that up a bunch, since then, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am running a 24 inch radiator in my 65. Takes a little cutting but the finished product looks good. I was running the contour fans, with an aftermarket controller. These fans can pull some serious Amps. Make sure you get a controller that can handle up like 70 amps. I burned my cheap one up. The Dakota digital controller looks nice. But, I switched back to my clutch fan, and mounted a fan in front on my AC condenser. I run hood pins, so was able to get rid of the hood latch support. The electric fan with the controller I have now comes on around 200 degrees. Car never gets hotter than that. 192 degree thermostat. Here is a picture with old fans (modified contour fans). Don't mind the ugly wiring. I have cleaned that up a bunch, since then, lol.
that is a real nice looking shroud with those countor fans. Did you make that?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I bought the radiator and shroud off of eBay as a package deal. I replaced the fan motors on the shroud with the contour motors. I burned up my controller with the contour fans and have since moved back to the clutch fan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Taurus fan and Contour fan are two different things. The Taurus fan supposedly will fit a 20" radiator.

Sure it does...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts