Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the Stang to work today(since we are having beautiful weather), and was sitting at a stop light when along came one of those funky monkey ricer mobiles. I had my window down trying to take advantage of the weather when this guy rolls his passenger window down and hollers, "Nice ride, sounds wicked. I'm not even going to try to beat that." It kind of took me by surprise. He kind of spoiled my morning. Figured I could have taught him a lesson. Oh well. Then he asked what year it was, when I told him 69, he reply back was, "Man that thing is almost twice as old as me!!"

Well, I got to admit the kid was nice, and he didn't seem ****y. That, or he had been put in his place before and didn't want to be reminded what old iron can do.

Maybe I'll get to put someone in their place on the way home from work today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats unusual that someone from the Fast and the Furious generation could even hear your car to know it sounded wicked. All I ever hear is that damn loud BOOM BOOM from their stereo and that buzz from the 10 inch muffler.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just proves you cant be too stereotypical. I'll bet you really werent expecting to hear that off him!

Gary

·
Registered
810 Posts
That kind of response is VERY encouraging. Perhaps he could be described as being an "Import Enthusiast," as opposed to just "Ricer." Every once in a while, when the Speed Channel has a show on the import scene, there are some decent, good kids being interviewed about their cars. It's nice to see car people will be car people.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with Tmendham...

However, I also disagree. On one hand, "Import Enthusiast" is an okay description. Then again, why not just "Car Enthusiast"

I mean, if you think about it, most of us write off imports, 4 cyl cars, etc. Vintage car owners are just as guilty of being biased, its rare to find someone who likes all types equally, or at least is knowledgable about them. Maybe some VMFers could do well to think about that next time they see some kid with his Civic/Eclipse/Integra/*insert import here* that they've spent loads of cash on.

Granted, I'm not one for the huge 4 foot wings, and some of the exhausts I've heard are downright horrid. That said, there are plenty of 300hp 4 cylinder cars, and they all still get 20+ mpg, drive every day, etc etc. More than we can say for most of our Mustangs, but that doesn't matter.

What DOES matter is the fact that todays youth (myself included) are still into cars, period. As long as there is a generation of car lovers that continues to grow, there will always be more VOTERS that will be on our side, fighting with us, when it comes down to new laws regarding smog, junk cars, or whatever CARB might come up with.

-M

·
Registered
810 Posts
Forward: This is Not a flame, just an enthusiastic response - with a funny at the end.

Did you NOT notice the last line of my post about Car People being Car People?!?

My point was very simply; people have different preferences in cars, and it's great that people - no matter where they are coming from or their predilictions - can truly appreciate something that is not their taste.

If you're not happy with my choice of the phrases "Import Scene" or "Import Enthusiast," sorry. They seemed (to me at least) to be a fair and accurate description of the genre. My comments were really about courtesy and good kids, not a broad dismissal of "Those who Tune." How about that for a new moniker?

"YOU MUST CHILL... I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR FIREBIRD KEYS!!!" - (name the movie!)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
All I know is that there's this little punk in my neighborhood that used to think that his 96 Civic was the greatest $hit. That was till we met at a stop light. Its kind of emberrasing to be eating the dust from a car that's older that you. From then on, when I see him on the street, he usually tries to stay a few cars back.

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with most of the posts. My favorite car to drive is still my Volvo. It doesn't turn as many heads as my 65 Mustang...but it has almost 300HP out of a messily 5cyl. I love surprising unsuspecting sports car owners with it. I love playing with all three cars in my drive way...99 mustang vert, 65 mustang vert, and my 98 S70 T5. I just love playing on cars. Actually...I think my fiancee got me the mustang so I would stop playing with the Volvo, seeing as it is our reliable distance transportation.

I agree that it is good to have car enthusiasts. There are always worse things to do with their time. At least they are outside and not playing on a computer all day long.

Think of the buzz bomb mufflers as a warning for a usually easy victory through the streets.

I got a similar complement from a Ricer last night...as my car (the 65) was broken sitting at a gas station as I reinstalled my points. He drove up and said "nice car". I thought he was being funny....but I said "yeah...and it would be even better if it were running right now". He laughed and said "At least it is a cool car...look at mine...it runs...but it is a Honda...will never be as cool as that car". That comment took me by surprise and I thanked him. He offered help but when I asked him if he knew how to gap points and if he had a feeler gauge he look a little confused and said..."Nope...sorry...only know fuel injection and modern stuff". He was really nice though...he was a "CAR ENTHUSIAST"

Slade

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree that it is good that they are into cars and not some other negative things. I didn't mean to sound so harsh earlier on the imports. Some of them are pretty sharp cars and some of the kids seem alright. It's just that I have two of them on my street that are a accident waiting to happen with the way they drive.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
SixFivePony. I read your post and was able to tell you were a Californian before I even got to the CARB reference. Made me want to just sit down with a bunch of young ricer pilots with their hats on backwards and join hands and sing cumbaya. Gotta run now. Late for my sensativity training class. Ciao.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts