Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO wonder I do as much work as I can!

So, after 4 mos. of working on my 68 I have had since high school, I finally installed a complete Global West suspension with front disc conversion (Wilwood), all stainless steal lines, new wheels and tires....Just finished last night and arranged for a flat bed to take me and my stang to get it aligned and pressure bled. NO problem....then I decided that since wAAMCO (delete "w") was sort on the way home I would take it to take care of some minor, but anoying auto transmission leak. Having been under this car alot, I knew what was needed. I needed to change out the pan gasket and tighten a coolant line.

So, I specifically tell this guy what I want...He SELLS me a $39.00 transmission "diagnosis" which would be credited toward the "diagnosed problem". So, I thought what the heck, if this "diagnosis" will result in a new pan gasket, it would be worth the aggravation of me changing it myself in my garage and cleaning up all the tranny fluid which would pour everywhere!

20min later he says....well, to fix "the problem" will take about $320.00. We need to take down the trans and reseal it. I said: NO, I just want the pan gasket changed and tighten the coolant line! He leaves......then I see that my car is taken down from the lift..He charges me $39.00 and does not tell me what they have done...You guessed it..they reassembled again with old gasket, did not even touch the coolant line (in plain sight). "We don't do partial work and don't want to be responsible for what could happen if its not all done correctly".

What Bullsh*t!!, I said...I specifically stated what I wanted. If they did not get the whole thing done they were not interested. I wished they had said this early on!

I don't have a problem giving them $39.00, but their business "tactics" suck!!!!! I told them I would have gladly signed a waiver releasing them from liability if the pan gasket would dissolve, caught fire, grew hands and detatch itself from the tranny.....

guess I'll have to take down the pan myself and clean up the meyham on my garage floor.

consumer beware.....it happened to me.

Jaime

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Midas tried that same crap with me when I was 17. I knew nothing about cars at the time, but I knew enough to know that you dont fix what ain't broken. I had burst a rusty brake line... they wanted to do wheel cylinders, soft lines (a hard line burst), linings... the whole shooting match. I TOLD them to only do the hard line... they made me sign a waiver saying that an "incomplete repair" was being performed and that I did not holdthem liable... I have done my own brakes ever since...

·
Administrator
13,019 Posts
I had a similar problem with a "service representative" for my PT Cruiser. Without going into a lot of details, I explained why he was an idiot and told him how much his "advertising" was going to do for the dealer. Also wrote a letter to the owner. Can't wait to see his response.
Stan

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
About the only things I dont do on my cars are machine work, alignments (both because I dont have 10000 dollar machines) auto tranny rebuilds, and rear axle gears (no experience...soon I'll try)

I am forever thanking god I can do everything else....(though I'm not exceptionally good with body work or paint)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Been there! I drove my 69 vert to Scaamco to have the trans rebuilt. It had a C-6 on a small block which totally confused them. After a week of getting put off I returned and they gave me a bill for a NEW
transmission. They swore that it was replaced and had papers showing that it was a new C-4!!!
I looked and it was still the C-6 I installed. After much screaming and threatening I was told to pay up or go to jail! I told them to call the cops, they weren't getting paid and I was taking the car with me!
Battery was missing so I went next door and bought a new one. Started the car and the shifter would not move!!
Got under it to see what was wrong and it had no rear mount!!! And the reinforcement plate was missing.
Police arrived and were credible witnesses in court later!
I may not rebuild it but I install it myself!
Bruce (TX)

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I just thought I would add that Aamco's are independantly owned and not all of the shops are dishonest.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Around here if you know where to go a C4 can be found for 175 exchange.

When I was a kid I took my 6 cyl 3 speed to AAMCO. After the free estimate they wanted more than a new trans cost from Ford. During the estimate they completely dissassembled the trans and I had to tow it home.

A 75 dollar boneyard trans is better than a 1200 rebuilt.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my four decades of driving I have never felt comfortable with the idea of taking any of my cars to Aamco, Midas, Sears, etc. My expectation, if I were to do so, is that I would pay more than what should be reasonable and the work done would be based on what their agenda and not what was required.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I got ripped off by AAMCO also.
The $39 is thier visual inspection, it is the same one they advertise for free. (on TV and radio) they ripped me to for $1500 fot a trans that lasted 1 year. After 1 month I noticed the linkeage for the 4 wheel drive had fallen off. After 5 months I noticed what I thought were loose bolts only to find out they were stripped. I am thinking about sueing them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts