Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is back to running after going through some trouble the last few weeks. The timing is slightly off, I don't have a indicator on my engine, so I just kind of have to move the dist. around a bit. I got a backfire when I was reving high on the drive home out of the exhaust, and it seems quieter and has less power. Which way should I rotate the distributor?

Thanks! I'm so happy to have her back :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What engine? The I6 and V8 turn in different directions.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If it's an I6, turn the distributor CCW until it starts pinging under a load at 40-60 MPH, then turn it back CW until it no longer pings.

If it's a V8, turn it CW until it pings, then turn it back CCW until it no longer pings.

Basically, if you turn the distributor the opposite direction of rotor rotation, that will advance the spark. So if you have a V8 which turns the rotor CCW, you would rotate the distributor CW to advance. Hope this helps!

It might also be worth your time to determine TDC and mark it on your dampener so you would have a reference mark to work from.

If you would take a few minutes to fill out your bio with car info, it will help to answer any questions about your car.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
idle your car up manually and turn distributer at the same time get it up to the 3k 4k range and fiddle with the dstr. youll hear when its right..

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My guess is that your vacuum or mechanical advance is not working. If you are back firing at high speeds, sounds like you are not advancing under load. It couldn't be caused by a few different things.

Basically, you really need to buy a timing light and set the timing with the vacuum advance removed, and then set you idle mix and throttle, and then repeat until the car is runngin right.

Slade ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts