Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 5 years or so I've bought a 1981 Wheelhorse garden tractor, 1980 Ford 1500 tractor, 1966 Massey 135 tractor, 1965 Mustang and a 1953 International R112 pickup. I've learned to deal with the drips and burning oil. Wheelhorse leaks a little oil. Massey burns it. Mustang has a drip from the 4 speed where the linkage connects and valve seals burn oil. IH pickup burns oil out the cylinders, rear main leak and the threads on the rear end bolt slow drip. Oh, and my 2007 Silverado has a rear main drip too. While I'm at it my 2012 Cruze leaks oil somewhere around the turbo line.

I've learned over the last few years to enjoy using and driving the stuff and monitor the fluid levels. If any of them were severe enough I would obviously fix them. So how many of you don't get too concerned about a few drops here and there?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hate leaks- but I have concluded only some can be stopped- Maybe its my backyard mechanic skills- IDK- I do seem better at fixing them than some garages- but still- I finally bought a large drip pan for the garage. Ironically the 35 dodge truck doesn't leak or the 46 Ford 2N- but the others tend to "seep"

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If I can't watch it and see it actively dripping, I don't get too worked up.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If it's making a mess, I gotta fix it.
The only leak in MyFirstCar is a very slow accumulation of oil in a little divot on my timing cover below the distributor. I can't tell if it comes from the distributor, the intake end seal, the head, or the timing cover. I just stick a paper towel or something it every 6 months to soak up the tablespoon of oil, wipe it clean and go on.
Vehicles not driven often enough are as bad or worse than vehicles driven too much.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My newest car and daily driver is a 1990 Cadillac rwd brougham with 160k miles and for the longest time I was fighting leaks in the cooling system but finally got them fixed and a do have a slight oil leak but not bad enough to worry about. If the leaks do not stop me from driving round trip drives of a couple thousand miles I consider them minor. Wes

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
LOL- I am too young to remember this- but a vietnam era vet saw the thread and said back in the day- a shot of penicillian would cure the drip.

(if you are not of that era or medical- the "drip" was a name for an STD ) I thought it was kinda funny so I thought I would share

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I think seal materials have really come a long way. It seems like it used to be anything over 5 years old leaked from at least 1 place. Other than the 'Stang the oldest we have is a 20 year old Silverado 190K miles that runs like a top and doesnt leak not one drip anywhere.
10 year old Silverado with only 80K started weeping some oil but I switched to M1 high mileage and it stopped so I guess those "seal conditioners" really work.
I feel lucky, the 'Stang has never had its engine out and only drips a bit of oil from the RMS if its driven about 50 miles. Way better than a lot of things Ive had.

·
Premium Member
10,070 Posts
Back when I was flying for a living the flight attendant would sometimes call on the intercom and state that "a passenger says that he sees oil coming out of the engine cowling". Our standard response was "tell him to let us know when the leak stops because that's when we're in real trouble".

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
LOL- I am too young to remember this- but a vietnam era vet saw the thread and said back in the day- a shot of penicillian would cure the drip.

(if you are not of that era or medical- the "drip" was a name for an STD ) I thought it was kinda funny so I thought I would share
Being both medical, and a vet, that was my first thought when seeing this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts