Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This plane doesn't travel up to New England very often and Ive always wanted to be able to go in one. It made a tour stop at Boire Field in Nashua NH. My father was a B-29 navigator in 1945 and flew missions over Japan and islands. These were amazing machines and today this one is the only flying B-29 in existence (but soon there will be a second). The B-29 could carry 2-1/2 times the bomb load of a B-17 and could fly at 30,000+ feet with a pressurized cockpit. My Dad told me some of the missions were over 13 hours.

They give rides on this plane but are very expensive and not in my current budget but I was grateful just to be able to get inside.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
What a beautiful plane. I've been in the B-24 & B-17, but never a B-29. I'd love to fly it. The glass nose is really amazing. It must be fun to land though, with all that glass, it must be interesting to find a good horizon reference when flaring.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Ah yes, another fine Boeing product. Always wanted a ride on one......

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
way cool

Paul, looks cool. Iwent on 'aluminum overcast' a B 17. Wanted to go for a ride but didn't have enough cash on me at the time. Neat history though. LSG

·
Registered
817 Posts
Awesome plane! I got to fly a B-25 and it was beautiful being up in the nose. Really makes you appreciate what the crews had to go through back then. Oh and the sound...

·
Spammer Hammer
9,536 Posts
Wow. That is cool. 10 years ago I got to crawl around a dozen or so B-52's in Minot, ND and Shreveport, LA (Talk about temperature extremes). Even the cockpit (class). No pics aloud though. Pretty cool old planes to think they were commssioned in 1952. Talk about some firepower.

Also, got to look at the business end of a locked and loaded (unplugged) M16 on the Minot trip. Not too fun. That's what happens when you are on a hot flight line during shift change and the guys coming on don't know you are cleared. Oh, and the damn CO just went home for the day as well. Fortunately, my boss whom was with me, was a Full Bird Colonel.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Paul, looks cool. Iwent on 'aluminum overcast' a B 17. Wanted to go for a ride but didn't have enough cash on me at the time. Neat history though. LSG
I missed Aluminum Overcast when it was here in Miami, for some reason they had it on display on week days. Same thing, they gave flying tours, but they were fairly expensive.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
WOW!
I was reading and wondering if you were referring to FIFI.

I have been inside that plane. My grandfather took me to see it over 30 years ago.
He was a WWII vet, in the Army Air corp. He was part of a B-29 crew, then later a B-36.
Sadly, he passed away last year. I will always remember that air show in Ithaca N.Y. he took me and my brother to see.
We got to climb around inside. That was great day. Thanks for reminding me of that great memory with my pop.
:yoho:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Swweeeeeet ride! That cockpit makes me dizzy. It looks hard to land because of how forward the front wheel is. Then again, I know NOTHING about aviation.

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
I have seen a website that has "virtual tours" of the cockpits of several historical aircraft. You can scroll left and right, up and down. The cockpit of the B29 is amazing- more dials, levers and switches than you can shake a stick at! I think the website is acicockpit360.com but it's not working right now.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I toured "Fifi" a couple of months ago when she was in central Fla. What struck me was how cramped it was for such a big plane, and how close the tolerances were. For instance the landing gear doors (when open) are only fractions of inches from the tires and they were all the same. The tail rudder is about 3 stories high!

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. I've been on a couple B17's and B24's before. I've been tempted to take a ride on a B17 when they come to Teterboro, NJ. The B29 is a amazing aircraft. Computerised guns, they could train all the guns on 1 target unfortunately the computer wasn't fast enough for the jet age. I was watching a YouTube clip on the manufacturing of their engines by Chrysler. The cylinder barrels are forged steel. They would run the new engine for a few hours on a dyno then pull it apart, measure and check it for problems before shipping it out. The power it generated on the dyno was fed back into to building's electrical supply. I forgot how much it saved on electric but it was a lot.

I heard it cost as much to build a B29 as it did to build a battleship. I don't know if the is BS or not but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Probably 10+ years ago there was a documentary on a B29 that was found in Greenland. It was ditched right around the end of the war when the crew ran out of fuel. The plane was perfectly preserved. The group of volunteers who were trying to rescue it spent a couple years making trips back to getting it air worthy. Finally when they were done, they were taxying down a frozen lake. A had one powered generator they had in the plane fell, ignited. They had to abort the take off, the plane was consumed by fire and fell into the lake in the spring thaw. It was like watching your pet get killed. It was like a bad joke.

Glad you had the chance to get on and thanks for sharing the photos! Much appreciated. I love chatting with the 90+ years old vets who flew. They suddenly become teenagers again.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Fifi is a fine machine. Did you know they'll be flying Doc for the first time in the next few weeks? If you haven't heard of Doc, it's a B29 they're restoring at Boeing in Wichita, so we will soon have another flying.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Funny note; When my Father-in-law and I were standing in line waiting our turn to climb inside Fifi, there was a young female "sports model" with a camera strutting around the plane. She was wearing little, bikini top, Daisy Dukes, high heels, got a visual on that? Anyway, two old-timers behind us in line were eyeing her (along with everyone else, you really couldn't help but notice) and one said to the other "I haven't even been on the plane yet but I think I've already gotten my money's worth".

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
back in the day i was shacking up with a girl in chicopee and we would often ride out to Westover and see the air shows and get tours on planes. it was really something so see up close and it was all free back then. Then every fall we head over the the Big Inebriation or better known as the Big E for beers, Keilbasa and perogies.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Guys,
Thanks for the replies - Im glad you liked the pics. Yes this plane is FIFI which is currently the only flying B-29 in the world. Serial number 44-62070, FIFI is a B-29A built at Boeing-Renton in 1944. She was originally restored in the 1970s and got new engines in 2007-2011. If you have ever seen the 1982 movie 'The Right Stuff' FIFI was the B-29 they used for the Yeager/X-1 scenes:

sportsroof69 is correct about 'Doc' - which I had alluded to - which is going to be only the worlds second flying B-29. Serial number 44-69972, Doc is a B-29 built at Boeing-Wichita in 1944. Doc was pulled from the Mohave desert in 1989 and has been undergoing (a slow) restoration ever since. Doc will basically be a brand new airplane and is in the final stages of restoration and will begin flight testing soon. My family are members of Doc's Friends and have been following her restoration since around 2002:
https://www.facebook.com/DocsFriends/

http://www.b-29doc.com/

Paul

·
Registered
622 Posts
Back in '96, my son's daycare was closed so after seeing a notice in the paper about the CAF coming to a nearby airport, we headed on down. It was a Friday and the show didn't open until Saturday. We spent about an hour in 'FIFI', talking to the crew member. :grin2: I took a picture of him holding onto the prop when he was 5, and we've tried to get to see FIFI so I could take one 19 years later. If I happen to find $1,495 lying around, I can get a ride in the bombardier's nose section. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice. Not as pretty, IMO, as the 17 but a lot more capable. I had a tour through Aluminum Overcast several years ago. Much smaller inside than I ever thought. Went home and that afternoon it flew over my house four or five times. I was sitting in the kitchen and heard a sound. "Airplane, " I thought. Then I thought, "multi-engine....slow reving multi-engines...OH S#%&!!!" Ran outside and there it came. So beautiful. I was so satisfied. Then, it came back about once and hour. So cool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts