Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I definately have not mastered the art of welding. Gotta grind some of the ugly spots down on my inner fender well. Just wondering if a regular grinder is the best or does anyone have another tool they like to use for this task?

G

·
0 Posts
I have been using just a regular hand held grinder, you go through alot of disks, but it works well. I used a great deal when I parted out a car, it just eats through metal. Be sure have good gloves and safety goggles, it is hard to enjoy your classic car with impaired vision.

G

·
0 Posts
I would get a 5" angle grinder, the 4 1/2 I bought is just not strong enough. I used to think my welding was not that great too. Then I went around to various body shops to pic their brains about rear quarter installation. Anyway, some of the welding I saw out there was pretty rough. I couldn't believe it. So I bet your welding is just fine!

Adrien.

65 GT Coupe all dismantled waiting for resto.
67 Restomod Coupe all sheet metal done, next is assy.
69 Mach 1, SWMBO say don't you dare take it apart!
91 5.0 LX HB, daily driver.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I've been using a veneralble Makita 9501 5" angle grinder in the shop since 1987....it still even has the original brushes...this is everyday, beat it to death use...

For large jobs and weld slotting, I use a B&D 9" Professional angle grinder with an assortment of discs...I've found for both, the Norton Norzon discs give superior performance and life...

Get a grinding disc or two, a sanding backup disk and some assorted sanding discs from 60 to 150 grit...and a wire cup wheel for removing paint and rust...

You can get a good quality small angle sander/grinder and accessories for under 150.00....don't skimp on quality on this...it's something you will likely use for the rest of your life...

I can't even begin to count how many welds I've cut loose and smoothed out with the above equipment...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools has a 4 1/2 inch grider for $19.99 that i bought last summer and have probably ran it for a total of 10 hrs with no problem - wahaen i cleaned my gas tank for repainting i ran it almost continuously for 4 hrs. these are cheap tools but unless you are going to use it for your job or over a long period of time it sure is cheap. mky Craftsman died after 25 yrs of light use and i paid $75 for it - a 9 inch unit.

G

·
0 Posts
beware of harbor freight tools
low end crap, bait and switch artists, lousy customer support.
i strongly urge all VMFers to avoid this scam joint no matter how tempting the price.
ill be happy to share all of my awful experiences with you.

mike o
gee, sorry, i usually dont get this animated about something, but this place ticked me off!!

[color:blue]'65 wimbledon white original coupe I6
'99 silver convertible V6

Check out Mike & Jackie's '65 Mustang </font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Harbor Freight is really good for getting cheap cut off wheels or rollo disksor small stuff like goggles. They also shell some cheap decent electric motors. But as mikeo said they aren't the highest with quality and I think that most people know that when they go in there and check out the stuff. I think that grinder is 17.99 now and is not a bad deal if you only need it every now and then. You get what you pay for really should be their name. Buy the way JC Whitney sells identical stuff. Tools are the same quality and everything from China.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you go the harbor freight way, I would never go mail order with them...I would only buy from a retail store. That said, I've been using a cheap black and decker 4.5" for a while and it seems allright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts