Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Has the selection of truly horrible examples of mustang on ebay decreased to the point we have to take an excellent looking car and poke fun of it because its not perfectly concourse?

Have we become vintage-vette.com ;)

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
He says that you would be hard pressed to find things wrong with this car because it's that close to concours. Ummmm...no.
Hmmm… Here's a few notes, can't see much in the photos. No under-car photos at all.

•Exterior and interior colors- not as original
•Tires- not as original
•Air cleaner- not as original (it's the cheap one that won't fit the correct filter)
•Air filter- not as original
•Heater shutoff valve- not as original
•Fender emblems- not as original (GT or running horse and lettering, but not both)
•Convertible top boot- wrong color
•Trunk painted spatter, should be body color
•Interior color scheme- not as original (doors, dash, quarter trim, and steering column should be upholstery color)
•Door latches- overspray paint
•Seat belts- not as original
•Shift lever- 68 model
•Air conditioning vents- not as original (modern aftermarket)
•Engine color- not as original (should be Ford Corporate Blue, not black & gold, which was a 64-65 color)
•Radiator cap- not as original
•Radio- not as original
•Coil and bracket- not as original
•Air condioning components- not as original
•Rubber flap on radiator support- not as original
•Trunk latch- paint overspray
•Battery cables- not as original
•Exhaust extensions- not as original (cut rather than rolled lip)
•Hood letters- missing
•Rear bumper guards- missing
•Carburetor- not as original
•Pinchwelds- not blacked out
•Hood hinges- overspray paint
•Heater hoses- incorrectly routed
•Ignition wires- incorrectly routed
•Ignition wires- floating looms missing
•Seat upholstery- not as original (incorrect pattern and grain)
•Trunk left pinchweld guard- missing
•License plate bumpers- missing
•Distributor cap- not as original
•Gas pedal- not as original (should not have trim)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has the selection of truly horrible examples of mustang on ebay decreased to the point we have to take an excellent looking car and poke fun of it because its not perfectly concourse?

I totally agree. I have to throw a BUT in though. Guys that throw the "Concourse" word around open themselves up for getting their cars nit picked apart. It looks like an awesome car that was built well. Saying concourse with an after market rotary compressor staring you in the face will bring out the critics.

I have built concourse cars and I hate it. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to pay me to do it I will concourse the hell out of it. I like to say, " why should I do a crappy job like the factory did"? Screw over spray and 100% OEM parts.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
It looks like an awesome car that was built well.
Wanna take a closer look at that decklid? My first paint job, which I did in the driveway at age 17, was far better than what I'm seeing between the lettering.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At first look it looked find, but I think it looks better in the pic then it would if you saw it. Looking at the detail in the pic I wouldn't be using the c word with that car. Neither is mind though but I know it isn't.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Haha 22GT, not holding back are you? :p
Well, when the guy says things like "
No expense was spared on the top-to-bottom restoration." and "we aren't talking about mom and pops car shows at the dairy queen." That may be true at his local Dairy Queen, but at the local Dairy Queen here, it'd barely be average. Maybe the DQ here is hard-core. The monthly DQ cruise here is taking over the Pep Boys parking lot next door, too.

And when he says "
Underneath this mustang is as nice as the rest of the car." I gotta wonder why no photos, then.

So when he says "…
Mind you, it was not concours restoration, but so close it will be hard to tell. You have to search to find flaws on this car" I just had to take him at his word, since it sounded a lot like an invitation, or maybe a challenge. :)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Also steering wheel not as original (was ordered with a deluxe wheel) and nasty rattle can black attempt to rescue the aging gauge bezel. It was not ordered with the blinker hood, power steering nor the A/C. A pretty car done wrong, and then the incorrect pieces boldly pointed out like that's desirable. True, GT verts are not common. Marti says 2341 GT convertibles (289 2V, 289 4V, 289 Hipo and 390 combined) and only 919 A code convertibles with the 4 speed (no GT data here, that's all the A code 4 speed convertibles). And I agree. If you throw out the "C" word with a totally incorrect car, prepare to get bashed Mr. Resale Red.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Wanna take a closer look at that decklid? My first paint job, which I did in the driveway at age 17, was far better than what I'm seeing between the lettering.

Looks just like my 68....after only 7 days of ownership :skullnbones::shrug::thumbsdown::crybaby:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

I agree. I don't see too much wrong with the car, and it certainly don't have a concourse price as I don't think he would have started it at 11k if he was hoping to get 30k out of it. Also, if I read right he said it was "close" to concourse.

So help me I don't think I would want anyone here to even know if my car was for sale. I would hate to have it nit picked here.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,634 Posts
Correct? I'm a modified guy even I know not by a long shot. But for the current price looks like a decent car. A lot nicer if he knocked off a couple thousand, but still.
I do have one piece of criticism though:
"concourse
n
1. a crowd; throng
2. a coming together; confluence a concourse of events
3. a large open space for the gathering of people in a public place
4. Chiefly US a ground for sports, racing, athletics, etc."
Taken out of context, but the guy did say, and I quote "it was not concours restoration". Props for spelling at least, yeah?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's a unfortunate choice of words the guy put together in his ad. Sometimes people come close to the line when writing ad copy, and sometimes they tip-toe over it. This guy was obviously a little 'exuberant' but I'll give him a little.

I agree it's a sloppy car when looked at up close, but in the end it's still a nice car for a driver. It's definitely NOT a showcar...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts