Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working to perfect the rear ride height of my '67 coupe and thought I'd share my experience with Grab-A-Trak springs and get some opinions.

I started with a set of 4.5 leaf mid eye Grab-A-Trak springs using 245 45R17 tires which set my ride height at 25". The tires would drag on the inside of the quarter panels when I hit bumps so I switched from the stock length shackle to the extended length for dual exhaust cars (1" longer). This raised the back of the car to 25.5" but I really need to raise it about a half an inch more. This is being picky but that is why I seem to do.

Since the mid-eye springs set the ride height at 1" below stock, I thought I would just switch to the standard height leaf. That would raise it one inch from the current height. I can then switch from the extended shackle back to the original which would put me at 26" which was exactly that I thought I needed.

I ordered a set of 4.5 leaf standard springs but they are apparently back ordered for months. When I called after waiting two months, I was offered a standard height 5 leaf springs so I took them up on it. They state that 4.5 or 5 leaf standard springs would be 1" higher than the mid eye regardless of the number of leaves. I installed them this week and it raised the car two inches in the back (27.5"). I kept the bolts loose set it down, drove it around the block, tightened everything but no difference. I'm using the stock length shackle length and now am at 27" in the back but it looks bad.

I'm not sure what I want to do next. I thought of different brand of springs but since I knew how the Grab-A-Traks fit, I thought they should at least be consistent from one height to the next but it does not seem that way. I somewhat want to send them back rather than use lowering blocks but it will cost me a fortune to send them back (70" lbs together).

·
Spammer Hammer
9,791 Posts
Or you could go to a 235 tire with your original leaf's and see if it rubs. Why do you need 245 tires? Are you making like 600HP and cant get traction?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could remove a leaf and see if that gets you where you want.
I've considered removing a leaf or making some combination of the two I have. I'm not exactly sure how these are fastened together. Look like a large rivet on a clamp which goes around the leaf. If I cut it apart, I don't know what I'd do to put them back together.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could go to a 235 tire with your original leaf's and see if it rubs. Why do you need 245 tires? Are you making like 600HP and cant get traction?
I could drop down to a smaller size tire in the rear but I like the look of a wide rear tire. I don't need them necessarily for traction. If all else fails, I could resort to this as I could then have 235 tires all the way around and rotate them to even out wear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Put a c clamp or something similar close to the center bolt and remove the center bolt. Loosen the clamp, and the springs will basically slide apart. The riveted clamps are attached to that leaf only, so you can just slide one of the leads out of the pack and reassemble. Your center bolt might be a little long. I would start with maybe the 3rd longest leaf.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't notice mention of wheel size and backspace
The wheels are Billet Specialties Rival G's. 17x8" 4.5" backspacing. If I could have picked 4.75" this whole problem would have been avoided.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a c clamp or something similar close to the center bolt and remove the center bolt. Loosen the clamp, and the springs will basically slide apart. The riveted clamps are attached to that leaf only, so you can just slide one of the leads out of the pack and reassemble. Your center bolt might be a little long. I would start with maybe the 3rd longest leaf.
Interesting idea. The clamps around the leaves themselves are rather tight. I would likely need to pry them open to just slide a leaf out after removing the bolt.

There is actually a clamp attached to one end of every leaf in the pack except for the second largest (right by the one with the eyes).

If this were possible, I could probably put something together than would work using the 4.5 and the 5 leaf springs as I still have both..

Reactions: RTM
1 - 9 of 9 Posts