Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of the 69 fastback Grammy gave me. 143K mi, 302, had at least one cheap paint job and the transmission's been rebuilt. Other than that very little has been done to it. You can see it has some rust.

I need advice regarding what to do with it--original vs. restomod. I've already gotten some comments here, but having seen the pictures, does your opinion change? I know, it's your car-do what you want, but please tell me, because I don't know much about this, bottom line, if this car was restored original would anybody give it a second look? Would I be doing it a favor by modifying it? Or would a restored version this car, which it seems to me wasn't so exciting in 1969, be worthwhile today?
http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0330.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0329.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0331.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0332.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0333.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0334.JPG http://www.radiologymovie.com/images/103_0336.JPG Used driver seat--original broke as I drove it away

·
Registered
286 Posts
This car looks great. It looks like an easy restore.
My advice is "do what you want".It's yours!
I'm thinking if it were a boss, mach 1, or anything rare, I would restore it back to original. But since it is a standard sportsroof, I might restomod that baby. That way your only limited by your imagination! Just my two cents. Good luck, Nicholas

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Up to you, but if I had a Plane Jane '69 sportsroof F code, I'd make it the ULTIMATE RESTOMOD. ... oh, wait, I do have a Plane Jane '69 sportsroof F code. Can you guess what my plans for it are? ::

So far mine's now sporting 15x8 Cragar S/S's with 275/50's T/A's in the back (225/60's in front), a 24" aluminum radiator, stainless steel hoses, Mickey Thompson valve covers, Lots of chrome and go fast goodies being collected for the engine bay and in the process of doing the enterior (my fold down seat arrived today :)), with '93 Mustang GT seats with adjustable thigh bolsters and electric lombards, got my speaker kick panels from the Mustang Ranch, etc.

I say, have a ball with it!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks like you got a good starter,you fix up the panels on that,cut the rust out & give it a coat of paint,put a nice set of wheels on it & lower it & youd be suprised how many heads you,ll turn.Just looking at the carpet(looks damp) you might be in for a bit of floor work.Mine was white with a blue interior.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
As mentioned, I would do a very suttle restomod. Don't even THINK about something that starts with an 'E'. Do all of the typical steering and brake improvements. Think safety first. Maybe some white face gauges. Rims and tires, of course. And, a little stroker kit would finish it off just nicely!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not to bad..try not to get in a hurry to either spend big money or make big money off of it. Which do you want more, the car or money? If you want money sell it now(and break grannys heart or somebodys) or hold on to it. Since you drove it home can we figure it'll be a decent driver with just the basic going over of the motor and brakes? Does the A/C still work? Looks to have power disk brakes(the pedal). Concentrate on the reear window area. Pull the winddow neutralize the rust where the trim is andat the seam there then get a cheap paint job. If you got a couple bucks fix the front valance and stone shiel. Looks like the bumper is OK enough. Don't worry about the rocker at this time. You'd then have a decent looking car and should be running fine. Then you can go from there ddepending on how much money you have. If you have no place to keeep it, no money to throw at it, can't afford insurance and such either sell it or find somewheere you can store it long for cheap...My Hansen longboard wouldd still look good on it tho!!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would go restomod for sure. A white Boss 429 look-a-like clone with a stroked 351W, lowered with lots of tires to fill up the wheel wells, and excellent brakes and handling.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
RESTOREMOD THAT THING! You can beef up that 302 quite nicely. If that's not enough for you, you might want to upgrade to a Windsor. Add an AOD, 4.11 gears, fill up those wheel wells with some meaty rim/tire combo. Upgrade to 4 wheels disk brakes, lower the car a bit and do some other suspencion mods and you're set. On the exterior you can make it into a Boss replica with out much trouble. Maybe red w/black stripes. Or a nice yellow w/black stripes. There are infinite possibilities!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I'll give a second vote for a Boss 302 Trans-Am Clone. Oh, would that be awesome!!!! :: ::

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
If it was something other than a plain jane fastback I would say restore it. If you are trying to figure out whether it will be worth more when restored or restomod'd I don't think it will matter. Do what makes you happy. If it were my car I would restore the body & interior as original. The condition of the drivetrain would determine my next step. If engine & trans are good I would drive the car for a while to see how I liked it. If it needs drivetrain work I would consider beefing it up. Sounds like you just got this car so my advice to you is drive it around for a while & see how you like it without making any changes. How you feel about the car should determine your next step. Take it slow & think about things before you go changing them. Change is not cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm saying BOSS 302 clone!!! but the way to go about it is to first fix the body. then you'll need a pair of repro spoilers front and rear and the stripe kit. paint it any color you want as long as YOU like the color. buy a set of tasteful rims that you like and some fat wide tires to fill the fenderwells and lower it a little, not too much! then save up for the engine rebuild. a set of 351 c-m-400 heads and a street boss intake with a 600 dbl pumper headers and a mild cam and lookout! maybe a repro shaker from down under too! the possibilities are endless! and that engine bay will take anything from a 6cyl. to a 429 so take your time and decide on what YOU are wanting to do with it. a daily driver ? weekend warrior(street/track) or a full on racecar. just make sure you know what you want to do BEFORE you start as switching gears in the middle can get real expensive(trust me I know from experience). my advice and .02

·
Registered
359 Posts
I say the first thing you do is THANK your grammy again. That is not the easiest car to find and they don't go cheap. If you really want to be thoughfull, ask for her input. It may help if you are really on the fence about something. Never know, she may of wanted a Boss 302....

James

1 - 16 of 16 Posts