Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, did I luck out! Let me give you an update, then I have a stupid question. Picked up the 1975 Granada Brake assemblies from the salvage yard.....and the prop valve. Visually, it looked good. I was hoping to be able to salvage the rotors that were part of the assembly. After removing the caliper/piston block from the rotor, I was favorably impressed with the good shape of the rotors. One side had a groove, but the other three sides were in excellent shape. Took them to the local 'tire and oil' shop and they turned the rotors down a bit for $24. The bonehead guy put grooves in the first side as he was running the cutting bit on the lathe across the face of the rotor too fast. The second one came out good though. I kinda "traded grooves", and since I've been a bit grumbly lately, I grumbled to the tire saleman whom bugs me at my office. He gave me a set of used knockoff 14" tires for free to serve as temporary tires on the rolling chassis. So overall, I'm satisfied. Saved the disc rotors and found they weren't warped either.

The spindle bearings are in good shape also, though I'll replace them. The spindle shafts are flawless as well. And the brake caliper pads are about 80% new. The hired man at work suggested I replace them anyway as they get old and brittle. The car was probably setting in the salvage yard for over a dozen years. Do brake pads get "old" with age, or can I get away with using the almost new ones that are on the brake assy? If I'm going this far with it anyway, just as well replace IMO. I know stupid question. I'm trying to qualify for the CHEAP geezer award, hehe. Better to not scrimp on brake pads.

G

·
I don't have a problem with cleaning up old parts. You can possibly save a buck or two by rebuilding the calipers. If they are pitted inside, replace them.

I would probably clean the bearings anyway and give them a shot.

I would replace the pads. You never know where they have been. They could have been coated with brake fluid or solvents at one time.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on re-building the calipers, the next step in the brake restoration. The hired hand at work will assist me with that phase as he has rebuilt many and I have rebuilt none. Afterwards, I'll fix the calipers on my old pickup and sell it. (for more mustang parts?) SWMBO says NOT! Thanks for the help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Replace the pads, with a new surface they'll immediately get hot when they start to seat and will probably crack. If nothing else, brake materials have improved drastically in the last 10 years, it would be stupid not to replace them. Rotors get expensive, and if you eat up one because a pad breaks apart you'll wish you spent the 12 dollars for pads

1 - 4 of 4 Posts