Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, the brakes bled out great for the granada swap. Whew, I was kinda worried about all the fittings and such but everything went great. The only problem left is the brake light switch. I wired in the connector for the switch on the granada proportioning valve and the brake lights are on all the time. If I take the connector and use a jumper wire across the 2 terminals, the lights come on. When I remove the jumper, the lights go off. But, when I plug the connector into the switch, the lights come on and stay on without pressing the pedal????? any help.... maybe a new switch is in order?? I have another switch from another granada prop. valve and it does the same thing???? Midlife, help???? (66/289) :(

·
Registered
37,455 Posts
That switch is not for operating the brake lights, they continue to use the pedal-mounted switch. The switch on the combination valve works off the pressure differential valve and is closed when the pressure differential valve senses a break in either circuit. This switch powers the brake system warning lamp.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AhhhSoooo! :: Now I see. I did not know this. So I guess I have to return to the junky yard and get the pedal mount to have the brake lights???? thanks... ::

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
your pressure differential (diverter) valve switch needs recentered. have procedure for doing it which is quite tricky bt doable. when you were working on brakes you are just about guaranteed to have it off center if it was working before because you bled your front brakes last so they wil be shut off and you will only have rear brakes. have procedure for doing it from my '68 Shop Manual i can scan and e-mail you unless you have one ust look it up. tricky part is when you open rear brake line and push on pedal you have to stop pushing on pedal just as soon as light goes out and quickly close bleeder or you go other way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts