Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing a number of sites and earlier posts regarding the Grenada swap, specifically the routing of the brake lines. I purchased the little metal links from MP and am planning to route the lines very similarly like most have done.

Question: Are these little lines from MP rigidly mounted at "both" ends of the metal line? It is clear that one short end of the "L" shaped line is attached to the bracket where it mounts to the frame. My question has to do with the other long end of the "L" where it ties together with the rubber line. Is this just left loose to pull around and rotate with the spindle (and the rubber hose...) or is it rigidly mounted to the frame as well?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
http://63.227.64.45/Engine-During/0529_outside_new_brakeline.jpg
http://63.227.64.45/F-Suspension-Finished/passenger_side_suspension.jpg

Here are two pictures of how I did it. I routed the line down to where the old rubber hose would go, then I used the junction piece, then to the L piece from MP... I figured out where this would roughly land on the frame rail... Took the Granada bracket off the Granada, and mounted it on the frame rail. Then it was solid at that end, and the hose had an easy place to mount solid.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You will need to secure it to the frame yourself. I plan on getting the frame pieces from a donor car and mount the line like it should be from the factory with the c-clip.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Years ago when I did the Granada swap I said f- the MP stuff and just bent my own lines. All I did was bend the new line so it entered the bracket under the control arm from the other side. $3 and a little extra elbow grease /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I guessed there was something like this required. I now have to find the appropriate clips so I can attach the line to the frame rail. Not looking for concours or anything here but wanted to get it structurally correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
You must support the end of the new line or it will eventually break. There is no particular need to support the line at the junction, though I did. I used those rubber lined cable clamps used in aerospace. I think they are called "adel" clamps, probably the brand name. I just happened to have some spares.

Move the current mustang brackets to the end of the new lines and drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt. You also have to drill a somewhat smaller hole for the locating tab. The bolts are self tapping. Just put the parts together and see where the bracket falls. Mark and drill.

This photo is my installation. I used the Granada brackets, but the mustang brackets will work just as well. The Granada brackets are closer to the body and bent at a 90 degree angle unlike the Mustang bracket which is slightly skewed.

http://home1.gte.net/web105k5/line_install.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts