Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a comp. granada. is there anything else i need to do a brake swap??? that car is all there, and has the manual brake booster. thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since you have the complete car you have everything you need. The power booster from a Granda will not fit the 67-68 Mustang.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I am confused about the manual brake booster? Typically the booster is only on power brake cars. With that said the spindles will bolt directly up to the stangs. The outer tie rods from the granada must be used due to the taper of the hole on the spindle is larger on the granada. You will need to use the distribution/proportioning block from the granada or alternatively you could use the 68 distribution block and plumb an adjustable prop valve into the line from the dist block to the rearend. The last thing is the master cylinder choice. If your mc from the granada is a power setup you will need to get a manual mc. The mc of choice on the VMF is 74 maverick manual brake disc/drum (about $30) just swap the rod from the 68 to the mav mc. If your granada mc is manual brakes you might be able to use it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
OK lets think about this for a second. He has a 68 which already comes with a dual MC and a proportioning valve. He said the Granada has a "manual power booster", meaning that the Granada has manual brakes and a power booster. The power booster from a Granada will not physically fit into the recessed area of the 67-68 Mustang (I know I tried it). So if he can't use the power booster he does not need to replace the MC or the distribution valve.
You do not need to reroute the brake lines for a 67-68 granada conversion. The lines are the exact same size fittings and will connect with no problems.

So if the tie rod ends from the Granada are in good shape, technically he could reuse the Granada ends on the Mustang. So the only parts he needs is the one's to replace any worn parts. If he is not installing Disc Brakes:
He does not need a distribution block the 68 has one.
He does not need the dual MC the 68 has one.
He does not need an adaptive brake line, the Granada lines are a straight fit to the 68.

All he needs is some tools, cotter pins, and brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You still need a disc/drum master cylinder and a proportioning valve. Unless the 68 came with front disc brakes, it did not come with a proportioning valve. Please note that a distribution block and a proportioning are NOT the same thing. Confused yet? It gets better. Just so happens that a 68 with factory disc brakes has the prop valve attached to dist block. I think that's where some of the confusion arises. Also, you could not get non-power disc brakes in 68.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Even though you technically do not need anything else to make this work........I would recommend getting an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes. This will just make it easier later to adjust for personnal preference. Also I would go for the power brake conversion it just makes the brakes that much nicer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I bought the power brake conversion from NPD that allows you to keep the manual brake pedal $350, but worth it. Very easy to install.

·
Registered
967 Posts
But since disk brakes require more fluid he needs to get a master cylinder that is designed for a disc/drum setup. Yes I have heard some people use the drum/drum master and it works. I just look at all the conversion kits and they come with new disc/drum masters as well as a proportioning device. I guess my view is 30 bucks for a mc and some effort why would I risk it. And yes I do agree that the adaptive brake lines are not required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts