Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy just called me and doing changeover. i did my 65 so he thinks i know it all. i forgot! he is going with p/brake booster as well-will be p/disc now.i think he needs to change the prop. valve to disc, i used a 74 maverick that i learned here. he has the valve form his parts car.does that need to be changed from 4 wheel drum. how about the master cylinder from drum to p/disc. maybe better here whatall is a must to change to make this work.4 wheel drum to granada power disc.he bought new 70 tie rod ends today also. i think they are bigger and fit the granada spindle?? thanks very much.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
*blink*

OK, I think I read that right...

If he is going to be using different brakes he will definitely need an appropriate proportioning valve. On my fastback, because I was using brakes from two totally different vehicles (79 Granada and 97 Explorer) I used an adjustable proportioning valve from Ford Motorsport (it's a Wilwood valve). I have heard that you can pirate a non-adjustable valve off a car that has a similar setup to the one you will ultimately have, but I have never tried it.

I am not sure of the entire parts list for a 70, but on my 66 I needed Granada outer tie rod ends to match up with the 66 inner tie rod ends. The link in my signature has a buildup of what I did when I did mine a few years ago. Be warned, I wrote the article when I was 19, the prose certainly isn't worthy of any reference manuals... Good luck.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt ask this very well. #1-is the brake pedal the same 4 wheel drum vs. power brakes. #2=master cylinder 4 wheel drum vs power brakes. #3-prop. valve 4 wheel drum vs power brakes vs. power brake with disc.he bought all new rotors,calipers,pads ,hoses etc. etc. just unsure on these questions. it seems on my 65 i used the granada disc prop. valve or could have used an adjustable valve willwood for example, same on the 70? thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
In 70, there are two pedals, one for power brakes and one for manual(okay, 4 if you count manual shift).

Drum master cylinder is not the same as disc master cylinder.

There is no prop valve in a 4-wheel manual drum setup. Only a distribution block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
#1 depends on the brake booster you go. Some allow you to keep your stock pedal linkage. The booster I bought did but no guarantee they all do.

#2 if you have drum in the back then you should by all means get a dual resevoir master cylinder. It's safer as well !!!

#3 you can buy an adjustable prop valve from any of the Mustang vendors or local auto parts store and make it work as long as it fits the brake line without leaks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
From some conversaions with a VMFer, a 5.0GT booster will work with the manual pedal. (he used an 87GT booster in his 68) You need a disc/drum MC, like the one you used from a Maverick. Unless I had a good prop. valve, I'd spend the $40 on a Wilwood adjustable.

Heck, I have a good factory prop valve, and I'll probably go with the adjustable, since my brake setup will be a little odd (I suspect It'll be a little unbalaced and I'll need an adjustable prop valve to get it right, but we'll see) An adjustable prop valve is a thing that would come in handy in most cases anyway, IMO.
HTH
--Kyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts