Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got the adjustable proportioning valve I need for my swap (thanks Corn Feed 2.0 guys) so I can handle the rear brakes... right out the MC into the valve, then into the rear line going to the axle... that's all good..

That means the distribution block only will have the front brakes going into it. Since I'm running outta room on that apron, could I take the block out, take a line from the MC (back outlet, right?) and then run it into a T, and then run the two front lines from it?

Does the Granada distribution block give any extra protection from a line going out? If the left front line goes out, would the distribution block make sure that pressure went to the right front line? Or does is it just a huge T fixture?

Thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm not sure on this, but I think what you're saying would physically work, but I believe utilizing a distribution block will let you run the pressure differential switch (included in the dist block already). If for some reason, you lose part of your braking systems hydraulics, the switch completes the circuit that turns on your "brake" warning light on your instrument cluster to let you know somethings wrong. So, if you don't mind the warning light not being hooked up, and finding a T for that junction isn't a problem it should work fine as far as I know. I'm sure a more experienced brake person will correct me if this is wrong.
Good luck with it.. you're going to LOVE the discs!

Oh, I forgot to reply to the last part of your post. If pressure is lost in the front or back system, both sides go out... which is probably good because if only one side was catching... well, yikes, you'd get one hell of a pull that would be quite a surprise!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the '66 didn't have that kinda warning light before, as far as I coudl tell, so I wouldn't have the light anyways... and I dont have anything set up to do the warning light, so that wouldnt be a problem...

I just want to make sure that the brakes would work just fine if it were in a T for the front disks... (in other words, want to make sure the Granada distribution block doesn't do something to the front only, or the rear only that would require it there)...

if it's a glorified T junction with a warning switch in it for the front and a built in proportioning valve for the back (which I would substitute with my WilWood Adjustable one) then I think my idea will work.... I just want to make sure before I try it.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Here's my 65 setup
Prop valve hooked straight to front chamber of MC and and rear going thru the dist. block. Plenty of room

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/97/E3/10561943-5ce2-028001E0-.jpg

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I hooked up the larger reservior to the front brakes and used the stock distribution block to go left and right (requires a plug on one outlet). This allows for use of replacement stock hydraulic lines without modification. The rear wheels got the proportioning valve.

I did a minimum one loop for pipe stress relief. Took a while to get them, but the result is nice.

G

·
I have converted a couple of cars by plumbing the Granada valve normally and putting the adjustable prop valve downstream. This will limit the high pressure end of your adjustment but it shouldn't be a problem since the car (65-66 at least) seems to balance better with some reduction on the adjustable valve.

Everything should work fine with just a tee for the front. If you don't use the rear part of the granada valve make sure to plug the holes, the internal seals won't hold the pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts