Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 65 coupe and want to convert to disk brakes for safty reasons. I heard about the Granada swap and looking for feedback on this swap. Is it cheaper than California Mustang's $695 kit? Any special parts needed for the swap?What about brake lines?Please help. I jumped in feet first on this project and I am already in over my head. Originally had a 200ci.and automatic.Plans include 302ci & T-5. I noticed a clutch pedal under the dash.(Nice torch job as%hole).I figured my brakes are more inportant and easier to do the job with no engine and tranny yet. P.S. I haven't even paid the car off yet!! Please don't tell my loan company what i'm doing to it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
look at the chassis page of my website, i did the granada swap for 500 bucks, including wheels, tires, steering linkage ( i have a 6 cylinder stang) and suspension parts. if you already have an 8 cylinder car you can do it easily for like 150 bucks...

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~66boss/

any specific questions after reading that feel free to e mail me or private message me.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd Dietrich
restomod junkie, 19 year old kid who has too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I also did the sway for right around $500.
It can be done even cheaper if you don't mind pulling the spindles yourself.

www.geocities.com/2bav8/granada.html

[color:red]1966</font color=red> [color:blue]V8</font color=blue> [color:red]Coupe</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8
5 speed, 4.11s, 10.13 in the quarter mile.
Oh wait, that was a Sammy Haggar song...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've delt with botht he Granada swap and the Lincoln Rear swap. You need to consider a couple things. Making the swap is the easy part. You need to take a look at the used parts you have and add up the price of rebuilding them, buying whats missing and see how it compares with a boxed kit that is complete with instructions. If your just getting into the hobby and your not 100% comfortable with a home swap, then the kit type might be good for you. Anyway, consider the following things. Rebuilt Calipers will run you 75.00 each. The Brake line extensions will run you 14.00. If you want braided Stainless lines (like I just ordered) they are 55.00. If you need new front hoses, they are prob. 35 each in rubber. Make sure you have the dustsheilds, spindles, calipers, rotors, etc. You will also need the outter Granda tie rod. If they are shot you will need a new one. See the Mustangsplus web site for some good information on the swap and for a list of parts and cost. Other people sell the items, but they stock a lot of the stuff too. I've done both the Granada swap and a Stainless Steel Brakes swap too. If I were going to do another one, I think I would look at the diffeent kits out their and the technology avail. Of course it is a money issue too...but SSBC, Master power, JMC, Trans Am Racing, Wildwood, Bear and many others make some neat brake kits depending upon your application.

Make sure you also get an adjustable proportioning valve and a new Master Cyl that is made for Disc front and drum rear. If your going to replace the front brakes, no sence and using a junk Master cyl, spend the extra few bucks and make sure you have a good new or rebuilt unit. Just some thoughts. A Mustang Monthly or Mustang and Fords did a nice write up on the Granada swap last year and a fairly recent Car Craft had an article too. Do a web search, their are a few nice pages floating around with some detailed info too. Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umm... i just got the granada spindles and checked around. calipers at autozone are about 13 bucks.

Corpus Christi TX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts