Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a '66 Mustang with P/S, 4-Speed TL, Granada spindles and calipers in the front, disc in the rear with a Wilwood 15/16" MC. I would like to either put bigger brakes up front or brakes with better stopping power, without having to change spindles. I am open to suggestions, but was wondering what everyone else did given the same circumstances. I also know that the Granada setup works, but just want something that will stop the car much better. Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
upgrade your pads and you will be happy with the stopping power. Granadas should stop car no problem, but the el cheapo pads really don't work that well. Check with opentracker for some good pads for granada stuff.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upgrade your pads and you will be happy with the stopping power. Granadas should stop car no problem, but the el cheapo pads really don't work that well. Check with opentracker for some good pads for granada stuff.
Thanks for the response! I took a look at the pads that Open Tracker offers... $250.00 for a set is a little pricey, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Tim

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'Check with opentracker for some good pads for granada stuff.'

^^^^^^ This

I bought the Porterfield R4-S pads from OpenTracker for my Granada front brakes. Much better than the prior pads I was running.

Porterfield R4-S Street Performance Disc Brake Pads for Single Piston Granada Calipers - Opentracker Racing Products

$250?? The above link shows the R4-S at $80
My fault... I looked at the racing set. Porterfield R4 Racing Compound Disc Brake Pads for Single Piston Granada Calipers - Opentracker Racing Products

That is much better!

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
I bought mine from Opentracker a couple of months ago when he had them on sale for $60.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Alan, how do you rate the upgraded pads as compared to the o'reilly's house brand pads? Just curious?

and to the OP: please check back and let us know your opinion on the upgraded porterfield pads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I’m reading your post correctly you have 4-wheel disc brakes with a 15/16 bore master cylinder? Power or manual brakes?

If manual, the MC is marginal & could be contributing to the perceived lack of stopping power.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I’m reading your post correctly you have 4-wheel disc brakes with a 15/16 bore master cylinder? Power or manual brakes?

If manual, the MC is marginal & could be contributing to the perceived lack of stopping power.
Manual, and I was told that a 1" bore would be better fit as well. Of course that was after I did the research and was told to go 15/16" bore.

Tim

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently put a set of Porterfield R4-S on my Granda calipers. WOW! They made a noticeable difference over the Ray Bestos pads that I had been using.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts