Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 14" styled steel wheels will work with Granada disc brakes? The diameter of the rotor hub bearing boss on my car is 2.75". What size is the center hole on 14" styled steel wheels? I'm assuming that clearing the caliper itself will not be an issue since I'm running 14x5 Granada rims now (w/ Scott Drake simulated styled steel wheelcovers). Thanks in advance for any input.

Vince

·
Registered
201 Posts
From what I understand, they will rub. The rivets seemed to be the hold up. I've heard of people grinding some of the caliper for clearance. Are your wheels original styled wheels or aftermarket? I've also heard of grinding down the rivets on the aftermarket styled steel wheels because they are non-functional. Again, this is what I've heard, but have yet to experience. Is there a specific reason for running 14's?? They make 15's- wider, too!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You do have to grind a little off the back side of the calipers. If I remember correctly you also have to have a little turned off the snout of the rotor.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riverside66 said:
Is there a specific reason for running 14's?? They make 15's- wider, too!
Was mostly looking at 14" wheels because there seems to be a good supply of used wheels available and because they would be correct for my car. Probably will end up with a set of 15" wheels like you say unless I have the opportunity to test fit before buying.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I'm pretty sure also the Granada hub will have to be turned down to fit the '65/'66 14" styled steel wheel.

Whoops, DAG just confirmed this. I had aftermarket 15x7" SS wheels and they didn't fit either due to the Granada hub being to large.

Dean T

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had to have the snout on the rotors turned down so that it would fit within the center hole of the rims.. it only cost about 15 bucks per rotor..

looks great now...

·
Registered
201 Posts
sn0wy15 said:
i had to have the snout on the rotors turned down so that it would fit within the center hole of the rims.. it only cost about 15 bucks per rotor..

looks great now...
I don't suppose you have an image you can post of the grinded area? Also, did you run 15 or 14 inch SS wheels?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
When I swapped Granada brakes onto my car I couldn't find any 14" rims to fit, I had to get 15", which I didn't mind so much except that I had a good set of 14" tires already and trying to keep on a budget I didn't really want to spend the money for yet another set of tires and rims at that time, but necessity required it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i'll try to post some tomorrow.. i have 14" styled steel on it.. :D i got a good deal on the wheels and i couldn't pass it up.. plus it entirely changes the look of the car..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts