Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Grant wood rimmed steering wheel which looks great but when I honk the horn I get sparks between the button and the spokes. What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I installed that one about a week ago. I carefully followed all of the directions. My wheel (or the adapter) stated to use the foam pads between the horn button and the base in place of the metal spring. Also, I installed a relay on the inner fenderwell so the horn circuit on the steering column only experiences 100 milliamps of current (it's amazing how the wiring on these old cars is just not up to snuff).

Base onthe poor construction of the Grant adapter, I would recommend that you research my prvious posts concerning this matter. Also, I strongly recommend installing a relay for the horn. You sepnt all of that dough on you repaint, etc now it's time to spend a little on the electrical system.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Grant wheel I put on mine ground the contacts off my replacement turn-signal switch and the horn started honking unpredictably if I moved the steering wheel this way or that. I've disconnected the horn for now and parked the car. I'm going to get a relay and see if I can rig up a horn switch on the turn signal stalk.

Greg

'69 coupe in the making

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The reason that the contacts were ground off of your turn signal switch is probably due to a solder blob that Grant's excellent manufacturing technicians applied when your wheel was made. I moved where the wires to the horn button attach to the sliprings on mine. Smooth and quiet steering wheel operation (until I press the horn button, then BLAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!).

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I iinstalled mine today - no problems. wheel works fine, horn works fine, directions went as planned. I do get the spark but its not gonna start any fires.

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts