Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my interior all torn out to install my TMI one piece headliner and I have decided I will fix my quarter windows after years of non operation. I have ordered new rollers for one side and a new regulator for the other side. Whats the best grease to use for lubing all the parts in there? I know some petroleum based greases can harm certain plastics.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I last used some white lithium type grease. It stays well, and has lasted a long time. Especially since my kids and I don't roll them down terribly often.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got all the new parts in and slathered it all with lithium grease. The one quarter window hasn't worked in about 20 years. I tried using it and it stuck but I kept pushing until all the rollers exploded and the arm bent. The other side had bent a little as well and one of the rollers had cracked. They both work like new now, it's nice to know the crank handles are functional instead of just decorations. Now as soon as I get my rear window gasket replaced I can finish installing my headliner. I went to tuck it in to the window gasket and being original, the rubber all but snapped off instead of bending.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Don't use White Lithium Grease, Within 3 years or less, It will all dry up on you.

This stuff below is almost a "Dead Ringer" for what Ford used...will not dry up on you... Great for door hinges, window regulators...everything!..Wheel Bearings..

Castrol GTX Brown Bearing Grease in a tub... See pic below...Buy it at Wal-Mart (Wally World)...

:eek:) Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll leave it to chance, whichever I drive by next, wally world or NAPA I'll stop in and get some other grease. The interior quarter panels are still out so it won't be difficult to clean and reapply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts